Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tent camping in Mid Sept - Good site in the Valley?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tent camping in Mid Sept - Good site in the Valley?

Postby Malvoe1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 am

My wife, daughter, and I will be camping in Yosemite from Mon Sept 20-24. We are tent camping and would prefer not to be close to RVs. Can anyone recommend one of the campgrounds, and even a particular spot? We don't mind a short walk-in, if that even exists. Also, should I make reservations or will we be able to find something doing a walk up. We prob won't show up until after noon. Thanks!
Malvoe1

Re: Tent camping in Mid Sept - Good site in the Valley?

Postby dan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Camp 4 (the Yosemite Valley walk-in campground) doesn't take reservations, but has very few campsites. Hard to grab a spot, but you can try.

Tamarack Flat and Yosemite Creek campgrounds don't allow RVs (the road in, especially for Tamarack, can't handle RVs). These campgrounds are along the Tioga Road (Hwy 120) and not in Yosemite Valley. Neither take reservations.

If you want to stay in the Valley (and I highly recommend it), I recommend a reservation. You may not need it though since it's off-season and not a weekend, but no guarantees. The unofficial website
http://www.yosemitesites.com/ shows how many reservations are available for a particular day. To make a reservation, go to the official US government website http://www.recreation.gov/

For Yosemite camping info, see
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Malvoe1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Dan

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, the only reservations I could get for that week are in Hogdon Meadow (or wowona or TM). I went ahead and made them as a backup with the idea that we should be able to find a spot in Tamarack Flat. I'm trying to get in touch with the Ranger to find out what the deal is with FC/FS spots in the valley. Camp 4 def won't work, as I hear it is a fun (ie roudy) spot, and our daughter is only 1. I'm actually torn, now that I have ready more about Tamarack Flat. The idea of less people and being near water is a big draw. However, it would be nice to be in the valley and not have to drive every day. We were hoping to bring bikes and get around that way.
Malvoe1

Postby kathy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents in...we tented in TM in August and loved it! It will certainly be a bit colder than the valley, but the drive to te valley from TM isn't that big a deal (just watch out for the tire-eating potholes!). We drove there 2x in 8 days, spent the rest of the time in and around TM. Unless I'm mistaken, Tamarack Flats is in the middle of nowhere. At least at TM, you've got a visitor's center, a cool meadow walk up to the Parson's Cabin, a camp store, a gen'l store, a small grill, a nice river, lots of easy hikes/jaunts.
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds