Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolomne Meadows camping

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolomne Meadows camping

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Author: Jim Jeffrey (---.agfh.org)
Date: 06-09-03 07:46

I am trying to get one of the non-reservation campsites at Tuolomne Meadows at the end of June, beginning of July. Any suggestions on the best way to go about this (days to arrive, time of day to arrive, etc)?

Re: Tuolomne Meadows camping
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 06-09-03 09:42

Best time is to arrive in the morning when people are leaving, say around 9 - 11 am. Arrive Mon. - Wed. Campgrounds tend to be full Thurs. nite through Sun. nite, but early in the work week sites are often available.

Author: Kathryn Greene (---.dsl.sca.megapath.net)
Date: 08-14-03 10:08

HI. I too, would like to try to get a non-reservation campsite, for the last week in August. I assume the campground is still open then? What is the maximun length of stay allowed? Are there any walk-in sites? (I'm not too fond of looking at cars (especially RV's!) while enjoying nature.) Where does one go (office?) to get the camping permit? thanks for sharing...
Katr

Author: Dan Anderson (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: 08-14-03 20:58

The camping limit is 14 days. You'll have better luck and fewer people if you can wait until after Labor Day. You may not find a space. The best time is mid-morning during mid-week. The campground is open through October.

Parts of Tuolumne Meadows campground is tents-only. You reserve at the campground office just east of the Tuolumne store or, if closed, at the entrance booth.

There's a few walk-in sites for backpackers. No space for cars though.

Re:Bridalveil campground
Author: Richard Improta (---.anhmca.adelphia.net)
Date: 04-25-04 10:49

Jim,
I haven't been to Yosemite for 5 years but our favorite first come-first serve campground was Bridalveil...does it still operate...loops B and C had the best spaces with meadows and streams running through or behind them. It was a wonderful place to see wildlife every morning and evening. I blieve lop "A" was for campers with pets. I'd appreciate any curret info you might have heard regarding this site. Thanks, Richard

Author: jacie Czerwinski (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: 05-13-04 08:17

My husband and I were thinking about checking out the bouldering in Tuolmne meadows! we do a ton of climbing in Arizona but I haven't done much in California. Please fill me in on details concerning camping and dogs.

Author: Dan Anderson (---.pmbc.com)
Date: 05-13-04 11:23

Tuolumne is a popular bouldering hangout.

There's a big campground just south of Tuolumne Meadows, with a store. Dogs are allowed in the campground and on the roads, but not on trails or off-trail.

dogs are allowed anywhere on National Forest land (which is just east of the Park entrance at Tioga Pass).

Saddlebag Lakes Campground, Tioga Pass Campground, Ellery Lake Campground, and others are there (in Inyo National Forest). For details, see http://yosemite.ca.us/faq/2.html

Tuolumne Meadows takes reservations (and you need them in summer). See http://www.yosemitesites.com/ to see what's available at a glance.

The National Forest Campgrounds don't take reservations. It's first-come-first-serve. Space is generally availble in the middle of the week, but not on weekends.

Author: Kristina (---.243.203.21.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: 08-22-04 18:16

I'm new to the area and am headed up to Yosemite next weekend. Where exactly is this campground located? Is it off of 108?

Author: Dan Anderson (10.11.12.---)
Date: 08-29-04 15:02

It's located on Highway 120 (not 108) in Yosemite National Park.
To get there, take Highway 120 east of Highway 99 at Manteca.
Look on a road map for Tuolumne Meadows.

Highway 108 is north of Yosemite Park.

Author: alistair ambral (---.wbs.co.za)
Date: 09-30-05 03:14

RE.TRAVELLING FROM CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA TO YOSEMITE CALIFORNIA USA.

Author: Joe LH (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: 10-02-05 15:00

I just came back from Tioga Rd to hwy 395 I notice some cars parked along the road, are they camping and sleeping in their vehicles or early morning hiking? also, is it legal? if there is no campsites available in Tuolomne Meadows can I sleep overnight in my van? thanks

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 10-02-05 15:15

Tuolumne Meadows Campground may be closed in October. Other campgrounds are open. See
http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/opencamp.htm

There's also a few Forest Service campgrounds just east of Tioga Pass.

Camping along the road or turnouts is not legal in the park.

Starting Oct. 15th there is NO overnight parking along Tioga Road, as the road may be closed at any time (usually the first storm closes it).

Author: MICHAEL LAFEVER (---.dsl.qnet.com)
Date: 11-02-05 11:34

LOOKING TO CAMP IN TUOLOMNE MEADOWS EARLY IN THE SEASON OF 2006..WHEN DOES THE PASS USUALLY OPEN..AND ALL THE INFORMATION SAYS THAT THE CAMPING BEGINS IN JULY..SO MY QUESTION IS IF THE ROAD OPENS LATE MAY, EARLY JUNE IS CAMPING ALSO OPEN THAN???THANKS..MICHAEL..

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 11-02-05 19:55

The pass is usually open by Memorial Day (end of May). But there's no guarantees, and that soft goal is often missed. For a historical record and progress information on plowing, see http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

Camping usually opens about two weeks after the road opens. Predicted dates will be listed here, and updated through the season:
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne Meadows - mosquitoes?

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Author: Linda (207.12.112.---)
Date: 07-30-02 14:44

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but does anyone know anything about the mosquitoes at Tuolumne Meadows? We took a day-hike there a few years ago, and the mosquitoes we so thick that it was impossible to stop and sit anywhere! The problem was so severe that it would have really made camping there unpleasant, no matter how beautiful the area was. I know that a lot of people love to camp there, and I have never heard anyone mention a mosquito problem. Did we just happen on an unlucky day, or are mosquitoes a serious issue?

Re: Tuolumne Meadows - mosquitoes?
Date: 07-30-02 15:28

I've donated lots of blood over the years to mosquitos. However, I've learned several tricks to avoid most of them:
1. Use mosquito repellent. Make sure it uses DEET, not that wimpy stuff.
2. Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants
3. Wear a bandana and hat
3. Buy and use a head net (outdoor and surplus shops)
4. Campfire smoke (where fires are allowed) keep mosquitos away.
5. Camp out of the meadows and away from streams (anywhere where it's wet). Usually that involves walking a few hundred feet up a slope.
6. Camp where there's a slight breeze (again up)
6. Mosquitos don't like cold or hot. They are usually just a problem around sunrise and sunset (except right in wet areas)
7. Tents are effective to escape mosquitos.
8. Later in the year the mosquitos are greatly reduced (August / Sept.). Even more in fall (it's cold).
9. Stay in breezy areas out in the open sun.

Hope that helps!

- Mosquito Dan

Author: Linda (207.12.112.---)
Date: 07-31-02 12:39

Thank you for the tips on dealing with mosquitoes! Can you perhaps tell me, though, just how serious a problem this is. It is one thing to know that there are mosquitoes and be willing to manage the situation; it is quite another thing to have the air so thick with mosquitoes that coping with them is your primary occupation! So exactly how bad is it? Does it vary from year to year? It was such a huge problem on that hike we took a few years back, that I would never be able to camp there if that is how it always is! They were practically swarming!

Also, is the mosquito issue exactly the same at the other campsites you have mentioned (the no-reservation ones) as it is at Tuolumne -- or does it vary in intensity depending on where you go?

I'm sorry to sound like such a wimp, but I have to be realistic! This is supposed to be fun!

Date: 07-31-02 12:48

Mosquitos are more of a problem in the morning or evening. Hiking around in the sun with a breeze takes care of the mostly in the day. So choosing a campsite is important. Tuolumnee is surrounded by a meadow, so has more mosquitoes. The Yosemite Valley campgrounds, although loud, does not have such a mosquito problem. The primitive campgrounds are in the forest and don't have as many mosquitoes as Tuolumnee.

Spring and early summer (say, May - July) is bad everywhere, as there's a lot of moisture around.

The problem varies year to year. It's not as bad this year as it's drier. Mosquitoes like some people more than others. Mosquitoes bother people more than others.

Camp in late Summer (late August, Sept.) or when it's cold (Oct. - April) to avoid mosquitoes.

Unfortunately, scenic meadows and flower fields are mosquito haven.

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-02-02 12:51

I didn't have much of a problem with mosquitos when camping at the Tuolumne Group Campground July 12 & 13. There was an afternoon storm which may have kept the hords away though.

Mike
The Backcountry
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolomne in July

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:24 pm

Tuolomne in July
Author: Deb M. (---.eugn.uswest.net)
Date: 06-19-03 19:58

I am thinking of going to Tuolomne in mid- July with our kids (kids age 4 & 7). We'll be coming from Reno area, and it looks like about 4 hours, is that about right? Also for camping in Tuolomne, what would you recommend for a place that is less mosquito prone. Don't need showers, but flush toilets preferred. Also, we will be tent camping, so nice sites with flat areas and privacy are a plus.

Re: Tuolomne in July
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 06-19-03 23:17

I'm sorry, but Mosquitos in Tuolumne Meadows are guaranteed in July. They are mostly gone by mid-August.

I like the campground at Saddlebag Lake. It's a few miles (5) outside the eastern Tioga Pass entrance. It's next to the Saddlebag Lake reservoir, but up on a slope, so there's few mosquitos there. It has flush toilets but no showers. It's quiet and has well-spaced, private campsites. It's in Toiyabee National Forest and has a campground host.

The only showers in the area are pay showers at Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp.

The other campgrounds west on the Tioga Road don't have flush toilets (Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Creek, and Porcupine Flat). They are quiet and private though.

For more information on campgrounds, see "Camping" in the Yosemite FAQ,
http://yosemite.ca.us/faq.html
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds