Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Getting overnight permit just to use backpackers site?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Getting overnight permit just to use backpackers site?

Postby worldtrekker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm going to be trying to get a walk up JMT permit soon and will show up in the Valley on a bus in the afternoon with no place to camp. Can I get access to the backpackers camp by getting a one night backcountry permit to just any old place, not using it except to stay in the backpackers site, and then line up for the JMT permit? Any other suggestions or strategies that might work? I don't want to game the system but I also don't want to sneak around and try to camp somewhere I should not be camping, like the backpackers site without a permit or the porch of the wilderness office.
worldtrekker

Re: Getting overnight permit just to use backpackers site?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm

That's gaming the system.

Try Camp 4. It's a walk in site like the backpacker camp, over next to Yosemite Lodge. If no luck there many be canceled sites in the main campground. It's a fairly low attendance year, so it's likely there will be somewhere to be.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds