Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

first trip to Yosemite

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

first trip to Yosemite

Postby mongo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:38 am

I,m from Penna. and headed that way next month.Should be arriving Sunday the 16th.I,ve been doing some research but figure this site is a good place for info.Here back east in our state forests we don,t have many rules or regs for primitive camping.We put on a pack and disappear for a few days.I plan on coming in via the Tioga road and staying for maybe 3 days.I want to do some day hikes and at least 1 overnighter.Any advice is appreciated.I'll be solo.Are the campgrounds still pretty full that time of year?What are nighttime temps ?Are bugs a big issue?We do most of our trips here in late fall thru winter for trapping and hunting and don,t use tents much.(tarp and sleeping bag is our normal)Is a tent a must?
I,m not a seasoned veteran but have spent many nights alone on trips here in Penna.-out in Wyoming-Idaho(grand tetons)and some amazing trips in different parts of Alaska.I,m 50-good shape-kinda old school-still using an old marine corps style pack.Sorry to ramble.Any help is greatly appreciated.Have a fantastic day!!!Lloyd
mongo

Re: first trip to Yosemite

Postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 am

After Labor Day the campgrounds pretty much empty out. In fact, some of them close after September. For Yosemite Campground availability, see this unofficial, but informative website:
http://www.yosemitesites.com
And the official NPS website on Yosemite Campgrounds:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Bugs are not an issue this late in the season. But a tent is nice for privacy and warmth (and mosquitoes in Spring and early or mid- Summer), especially for Tioga Road campgrounds (it will get down to freezing).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds