Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Which campground to pick?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Which campground to pick?

Postby izmeeh » Thu May 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello all,

I plan to visit Yosemite again from July 2nd until July 6th with hope to find some good spots. I've camped at Camp 4 and Tuolumne Meadows. I like Camp 4 because of its location. I'm not too fond of Tuolumne Meadows because of the mosquitoes. We will have about 15 people on this trip, including toddlers and elders. I'm not sure if trying out for Camp 4 is a good idea, especially during July 4th week/weekend.

I want to visit Glacier Point on this trip. I thought about Bridalveil Creek Campground, but read on here that there would be more mosquitoes than Tuolumne Meadows. Would White Wolf be a better option? Since many of these people are first time campers and/or visiting Yosemite for the first time, I want to stay at a place with flushable toilet and tap water as I don't think they are ready to rough it yet with the primitive campgrounds.

Please advise.
izmeeh

Re: Which campground to pick?

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 30, 2013 10:20 pm

I think you need to check on what's available, and go with that. At this point you are very late to reserve anything - you will need three campsites for that many people. Camp 4 is not really workable for that large a group.

Bridalveil is first come, first serve, so unless you arrive midweek and morning, that may not work either. Tuolumne is easier to get sites in as they keep half of the sites aside for walk ins. Valley campgrounds are all reservable and usually full up booked. Taking chances on cancellations with that large a group is inadvisable. I'd suppose you want three sites all together if possible, Tuolumne would be easier to get that.

You have picked a holiday weekend, so you are going to have a tough time regardless of what you do. It will be mega-crowded. Get on the reservation sites and try....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby izmeeh » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 am

I know it's almost impossible to reserve 3 spots now. I want to know the pros and cons of the first come first serve campgrounds.
izmeeh

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 31, 2013 10:26 am

Choose the one you want, get there midweek in the morning. There is no difference in mosquitos - they will not be bad this year anyway. All of them will be about the same. Trees, tourists, habituated bears and flat spots for tents.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 am

We are planning to go visit Yosimite National Park this august. For reservations how many days should I be ahead of schedule? Thanks
Jennifer

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:58 am

Jennifer wrote:We are planning to go visit Yosimite National Park this august. For reservations how many days should I be ahead of schedule? Thanks

Start trying four months ago....

There are a few that do not take reservations. Bridalveil is a good one. Tuolumne Meadows reserves half their sites for walk ins. Show up midweek in the morning and you might get a spot.

Check the reservation website - sometimes you get lucky and find a campsite open in the valley floor, when someone cancels a trip.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds