Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Which campground is best/recommended ?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Which campground is best/recommended ?

Postby kontrol » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:34 am

Hi
I am a tourist from Poland.
I come to Yosemite from 13th to 16th September. Is there a time when I will be a lot of tourists in Yosemite? We will travel as two adults and want to sleep at a campsite under a tent. What campground do you recommend? Can I reserve a place just under a tent? Do places quickly sell out? I am most interested in Yosemite Village. I would like to sleep at Camp4 but I worry that there will not be enough room for us. Is there a chance that if I appear around 8am at Camp4 on September 13th then there will be free space or at all not take such an option and try to book something nearby? I found an interesting option at Half Dome Village (tents for 2 people for 129USD per day). Do you think it's worth it?
kontrol
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Which campground is best/recommended ?

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 am

First, it should be mentioned there are no tents provided for you at Camp 4 or any other camp other than Half Dome Village or Housekeeping camp. You have to bring or buy sleeping gear and all camping gear - staying in the more expensive lodging like Half Dome Village means you are given beds, bathrooms with showers, and amenities you will not have in regular campsites.

Second, you need reservations and unless you are coming later than five months from now, those will be taken. Camp 4 is walk in but the line forms in the early morning, much earlier than 8. Especially on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's very crowded with climbers.

I recommend for simplicity staying at Half Dome Village if you can. It will likely end up cheaper in the end if you are not flying out with camping gear. The food court is nearby, you won't have to fuss with buying and preparing food as with the other campsites, and you are still in a tent.

Yosemite Village has a grocery store, other shops, places to eat and no camping or other lodging. Yosemite Lodge has places to eat and apartments to rent -- suites with beds and their own bathrooms, and room service.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Which campground is best/recommended ?

Postby Wigginns1 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:42 am

I don't know what direction and how you're getting to the park, but as another option you can also try to rent some camping gear on the way up? I know there are some outdoor stores around that will rent a coming setup--tent, bag, etc--which could give you more flexibility and freedom if you really want to sleep under a tent. Plus, you'll probably still come out ahead on money.
Wigginns1

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds