Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping in Yosemite

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camping in Yosemite

Postby brodie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 am

Hi to everybody,

I guess I know the answer which looks to obvious, but let's ask. Is the "official" campgrounds the only alloed place for camping? Is to put a tent/bivouac allowed out of the campgrounds? I guess it is forbidden, but I have found another National Parks in other countries where camping/bivouac is allowed under any special circunstamces.

Thank you in advance.
brodie

Re: Camping in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am

Yes, you must be in a designated campground to camp in Yosemite, unless you get a wilderness permit and go backpacking - and even then, some of the areas have designated spots for camping.

Yosemite is far, far, far too popular to allow dispersed camping in areas near roads -- the place would be even worse than it already is with trash, the plants would be trampled, the trees chopped down and burned -- far better to have designated places to camp.

Fortunately, hardly anyone goes in winter when it's colder, so you'll have your pick of the campsites if you went right now.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Camping in Yosemite

Postby brodie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

It is was I expected. I agree, a bit of control prevents more damage to the area. Thank you for the answer!
brodie

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds