Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

West Yosemite Area Campground/Fishing Help

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

West Yosemite Area Campground/Fishing Help

Postby RC » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm looking for some advice on a good campsite in the Yosemite area, heading up the weekend of 10/11.

Has anyone ever camped in the El Portal area along the Merced River on 140 near the entrance to the park?

Was also looking at the Hodgden Meadow or Crane Flat campgrounds, but can't get too much info on them from the website.

Most importantly i'm trying to find a nice campsite alongside a river where i can flyfish.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
RC
First-timer
First-timer

Re: West Yosemite Area Campground/Fishing Help

Postby dan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Detailed Yosemite campground information is at:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Hodgden Meadow Campground is open year-around. Crane Flat closes around now
You might consider Wawona Campground, open year around, which is along the South Fork of the Merced. The Park Service campgrounds mentioned here have flush toilets and running water.

I've camped at Merced River Forest Service campgrounds before. They are very small, and some have been closed and converted to picnic grounds. Here's a list:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreati ... area.shtml

They are primitive, with vault toilets. Some have piped water.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds