Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

couple of stupid questions for upcoming trips

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

couple of stupid questions for upcoming trips

Postby gregor » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Alright, i know i tell my students there is no such thing as a stupid question :) Actually i tell them ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer :)

I'm heading to Upper Pines for a week starting 7/13 and i'm trying to plan things out as much as I can.

1. When i'm cooking pasta, what do i do with the water? I was sitting in bed one night and this just popped into my head, i mean i don't want furry woodland creatures coming around my site looking for pasta flavored dirt. Is it an issue, can i just dump it in the fire ring or something like that and not worry about it.

2. Along with question above, are washing dishes a pain? is there a place to do it, i'd imagine its not allowed in the bathrooms.

3. Everything i've read says that each site has got a firering/pit with a grill, is it safe to cook on the grills, again from a furry woodland creature standpoint? am i going to wake up to a bear licking the grill because some burger stuck to the grill? Is the grill over the fire pit or is it a standalone charchol grill?

4. Is it kosher to swim in the merced river that seems to go right near our campsite?

5. how much do showers in curry village cost?

6. This might be out there, but everything i read says to put block ice in your cooler to last longer, is there a place to get block ice within the valley somewhere? I'm coming from the east coast, and basically plan on driving into the valley on day one, and not leaving the park for the next week.

Thanks for all the help with my stupid questions, and if you must, i can handle stupid answers, but would love some help :)
Greg Keller
"If you wish to be out front, you must act as if you are behind" Lao Tzu
gregor

Re: couple of stupid questions for upcoming trips

Postby dan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 pm

1. I scatter pasta water to the bushes in isolated campgrounds. The Yosemite Campground bathrooms have a utility sink to dump gray water (no garbage).

2. Same

3. It's safe to cook on the grill. The bears lick garbage and food, not grills. Most or all Yosemite campgrounds have a firepit with a grill.

4. You can swim in the Merced River. No soap! It's too cold for me though (high 30s?).

5. A few bucks--I think it's $3 or $5. You get soap and a towel. Avoid early evening on weekends--it's crowded. It's free if there's nobody there collecting money (but no towel).

6. Block ice at Village Store in Yosemite Village, Wawona Market, and Tuolumne Market. There may be others, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 am

1. We usually dump all cooking water into a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot.
2. We wash dishes in a small rectangular plastic container and once we are done we put it into the 5 gallon bucket.
3. Agree with Dan.
4. The rivers are extremely refreshing and a great place to have fun, but as Dan mentioned it might be too cold for people. Only a few people in my group ever get in and even then very few stay in for too long.
5. Not Sure.
6. Stores usually carry the block ice, if not then you be going to the store often to get ice. You can freeze the big gallon jugs of water when you’re at home and use those to get you up to Yosemite. You will not only save room if you bring up water but also don’t have to buy block ice to get you up to Yosemite. Never mind I just read your coming for the east coast, but I’ll just leave it up for others.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds