Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

ADA in North Pines

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

ADA in North Pines

Postby CA Cowgirl » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 pm

We walked through the North Pines 2 weeks ago and noticed several ADA sites being made. Can't quite figure out what they are doing. Looks like a 12'x12' raised concrete pad about 2 feet high. How does a handicap person benefit from this pad? Do they put a tent on it? And how do they get on it from a wheelchair? Just wondering.
CA Cowgirl

Re: ADA in North Pines

Postby dan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't know--I haven't seen them yet. The accessible campsites I've seen are concrete pads with a picnic bench, and a sidewalk from the parking area to the pad. The parking is also paved or concrete. The nearby bathroom is also accessible.

2 feet high? lol--that would make it a challenge wouldn't it :-). Kind of adds the element of challenge to camping I guess. Hopefully, they will backfill the pad around it so it's just a few inches high.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 pm

I saw the same pad on Lower Pines last month. Being somewhat handicapped myself, I couldn't figure out what the heck a 12' x 12' x 2' concrete slab would be called 'ADA'. Although my site wasn't a concrete slab (site #12).
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm

My best guess is so the wheelchair bound can stake a tent out. I was looking at them and that is the only thing that I came up with.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

I should have thought about this earlier. When I was wheelchair-bound (~1 year), my father-in-law made a "platform" on top of one of the couches. It raised it 6", a total of 2', so I could get out of my wheelchair. 8)
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds