Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

tioga pass

Information on possible opening and closing dates for the Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) through Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

tioga pass

Postby davidl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:23 am

I"m planning to drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite on 9/25/10. The route through Tioga Pass looks best, but I am worried about snow, closure.

Should I firm up plans for this route, or should I play it safe and plan to loop under the park and come in from the west?

Any info or advise will be appreciated.
davidl
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:52 am

You'll probably be able to drive over it. The pass isn't closed to overnight parking until mid-October. You won't be able to camp or get a burger at the grill in Tuolumne Meadows, however, those services are likely shut down by then...

Loop under the park? Where? Tehachapi is a long drive south.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mikecain3 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 am

I have been around tioga pass at the end of september for 4 of the last 5 years. Sometimes you can get flurries of snow but it usually doesn't accumulate and the pass stays open. Last year we were there around Oct 2nd and while camping in TM a big storm dumped enough snow that they closed the pass. Some of the residents that live in Mammoth or Bridgeport were pissed off because they couldn't get through. After about 2 hours the storm lifted and the road opened. That was a week after your date and it there was at least 6 inches accumulated on the roads. All the other years there has not been any issue. So I wouldn't worry about getting closed out. If you have chains bring them. If you don't have chains don't worry about it. Tioga is a much better route then working your way around from the west especially if you are going to TM.

By the way one of the best meals around that area is the gas station at the base of the pass in Lee Vining. You can't miss it. Really good food. Very popular.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

I wouldn't worry about it, I would bet money it'll be open and you'll make it just fine.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 am

I drive a mazda sports car over it... have chains, never used them, since by the time snow really piles up the gate closes. So no need to go AWD if it's not late October or after.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re:

Postby amjadkhan0988 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:46 am

AlmostThere wrote:You'll probably be able to drive over it. The pass isn't closed to overnight parking until mid-October. You won't be able to camp or get a burger at the grill in Tuolumne Meadows, however, those services are likely shut down by then...

Loop under the park? Where? Tehachapi is a long drive south.

this is a very nice info thanks dud... 8)

pakistani food
http://karachifoods.com
Last edited by amjadkhan0988 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
amjadkhan0988
First-timer
First-timer

Re:

Postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

AlmostThere wrote:Loop under the park? Where? Tehachapi is a long drive south.

Yeah, but it's not a long drive south from Vegas--just take I-15 and State Highway 58 :-)

There are dirt roads that get very close to Reds Meadow (within a long days walk) just south of Yosemite, but they don't go all the way.

There's Sonora Pass north of Yosemite (Highway 108), but it also closes in Winter too.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Tioga Road Opening/Closing