Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tioga road opening before june 8th?

Information on possible opening and closing dates for the Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) through Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tioga road opening before june 8th?

Postby stripgaga » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Does anyone here think Tioga road will be open June 8th and after? Only reason I ask is because my camp site I'm going to is at Silver Lake which is pretty much horizontally east of Yosemite by the Inyo national forest which Tioga road gives a straightaway shot to and is the quickest route from San Francisco. Otherwise I'd have to take the 108 or the 4 but both of which say they're closed right now according to the CA department of transportation for the winter.

I know this weekend showers and snowfall will occur in yosemite but weather has been forecasted to be mostly sunny after June 7th. I've checked the average open dates for the past years and it said June 5th and late may the last couple years, but I don't know what's going to happen to road conditions with the showers and possible snow this weekend.

With all of those roads closed, from San Francisco, it seems like the only open mountain road is the 88 but that is so out of the way. Damn winter!
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Tioga road opening before june 8th?

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm

The plows will be done soon but they will be repairing the road - will open the road by end of June at the earliest.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stripgaga » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:03 pm

i see. do you have any info on the 108 or 4?
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Sonora Pass has opened and closed and opened again.

I suspect you will have to check before you go and take whatever's open - Sonora will be getting snow again this weekend.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Tioga Road Opening/Closing