Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne area and Tioga Road question

Information on possible opening and closing dates for the Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) through Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne area and Tioga Road question

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 am

Author: Mike B (---.118-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: 06-21-05 23:00

OK. I've asked alot of questions, and you all have been most helpful.

Now that the Tioga Road is going to be open for my trip next week, it looks like I'll be able to get to Tuolumne Meadows.

However, coming from Florida, these things are still a little confusing--is most of the area around the Meadows going to be so full of snow that hiking will be difficult? Or is it more just patches of snow? Is the store going to be open in the Tuolumne visitor area? I was planning to hike along the river towards Glen Aulin, and do some other various hikes, but we'll be staying in Lee Vining.

Any insight is most appreciated.

Re: Tuolumne area question
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 06-22-05 00:20

The Road only opened yesterday (Tues. 6/21) to administrative traffic. No way will things be up in running by this weekend. I'll expect minimal services.

Don't know about snow conditions.

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-22-05 09:29

The raod will be opened this Friday. The store won't be opened until July 1. I expect there to be several feet of snow on the ground. I'm going to try to get up there this Friday to just take pictures. I'm disabled right now, so I can't get out on the trails to let you know how they are.

-Mike

Author: Ron R. (---.sgi.com)
Date: 06-23-05 13:59

It's not exactly the prettiest way of going about it, but you can check what the sensors say on the NOHRSC website.

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html

on the left hand side of the page choose Snow Depth as the Physical Element.

I selected the following Overlays: Roads, Cities, State Outlines and County Outlines and then zoomed in to get an idea of what Tuolumne looks like at the moment. You may need to cross-reference to another map to get a good idea of how to find the Meadows (or you can stand on one leg and squint one eye....).

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-27-05 08:50

I went up to Tioga Road on Friday. There is no snow in Tuolumne Meadows and probably about a foot of snow in the area near Tioga Pass. I've posted some pictures on another site. You can see them here.

-Mike
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Tioga Road Opening/Closing