Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

D. J. Foley

Discussion about Yosemite National Park history, including Native Americans, Euro-American pioneers and settlement, and establishment as a national park.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

D. J. Foley

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Photographer, D.J. Foley
Author: Hank
Date: 11-09-06 09:43

I am looking for information on a photographer named D.J. Foley, who was active in the 1920-1930's in the Park, I think. I have a book of photographs by him, entitled "Yosemite, The Beautiful". It is copyrighted by the author, without a date, and published by D.J. Foley, Yosemite Fall Studio. Anything on the man or the book would be appreciated. Thanks

hbbarnet at cs . com

Re: Photographer, D.J. Foley
Author: Dan Anderson
Date: 11-09-06 11:40

D. J. Foley was one of several photographers in the early 20th century who set up shop in the Old Village in Yosemite Valley and sold photographs and postcards to visitors (and developed film for those using the new Kodak cameras).

The other competiting photographers were Pillsbury, Best, Boyson, and Fiske. Best's daughter later married Ansel Adams.

Foley wrote "Yosemite Souvenir and Guide", a guidebook with several photographs. It came out in several editions in the 1900s and 1910s.

I don't know any book or article on Foley, off-hand. You can find snippets about him by typing "Foley" after clicking on "search" at the top of this webpage
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

photography

Postby sally » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Dan, I have what appears to be originials of Fiske's photos...mostly of the various falls in the valley. I wonder what I should do with them? :)
sally

Re: photography

Postby dan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 pm

sally wrote:Dan, I have what appears to be originials of Fiske's photos...mostly of the various falls in the valley. I wonder what I should do with them? :)

* keep them
    * give them to a relative
    * donate them to Center for Creative Photography, The University of Arizona, Flagstaff, AZ. They have Ansel Adams' papers and photographs, and Adams was a big fan of Fiske.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: D. J. Foley

Postby maggy234 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 pm

I was given very old 6x10 (hand) colored photographs, penciled signed Foley and titled The Lone Pine. I have been trying to figure out if he is the same D.J.Foley? Photos appear to be of northern California, both nature scenes with pines. I would consider donating them to the Yosemite museum if they are the same Foley. Who should I contact?
maggy234
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite History