Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First mountain climb in the Yosemite area

Discussion about Yosemite National Park history, including Native Americans, Euro-American pioneers and settlement, and establishment as a national park.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First mountain climb in the Yosemite area

Postby jrbouldin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:34 pm

The second major documented mountain to be climbed in California, after Red Lake Peak in the Tahoe Basin (which was climbed by John C Fremont in 1846 or 47), appears to have been Mt. Lewis, just outside the Park, in 1855 (not counting Native American climbs which are hard to impossible to document). It is also possible that something in the Cathedral Range was climbed just a few days prior to that, but I don't think so. I have found the primary data source demonstrating this and wonder if anybody is interested in the story.
jrbouldin
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite History