Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What Would John Muir Say? A great book to buy.

Discussion about Yosemite National Park history, including Native Americans, Euro-American pioneers and settlement, and establishment as a national park.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What Would John Muir Say? A great book to buy.

Postby Yosemite_Indian » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:46 am

My elder contacted me today and told me that when he was out and about he ran across this book called 'What Would John Muir Say?' that was edited by Bernice Basser Turoff with some of the best photographs of Yosemite, Mono Lake and Hetch Hetchy he had ever seen. The photos were taken by David Best. My elder said the photos were magical.

Here is the cover of the book:

He was surprised at the beauty and quality of the book which is quite large and has some of the best photography he had ever seen of our ancient homeland. A homeland that covered Hetch Hetchy, Yosemite and Mono Lake. The book covers the areas that one of the earliest conversationalists and founders of the Sierra Club, John Muir, covered as he trekked in the Sierra Nevada. Muir documented his encounters with Paiute people and also followed our trails. Now some of those trails are called the John Muir Trails, but they were originally ours. The book has photos of the high Sierra Nevada that are amazing.

As the original Native American Indian people of those areas we highly recommend this book. The book does cost $55 dollars, but the panoramic photography is well worth it and on one page in the book has a 3 page pull out of a panoramic scene of the flooded Hetch Hetchy, our old homeland.

Here is the website of the publisher with a better photo of the cover of What Would John Muir Say?

http://www.nevadacountyartscouncil.org/artcommons/BTuroff-1.html

Here is the website of David Best, the photographer of 'What Would John Muir Say?':

http://www.panoramaman.net/index.php

Mr. Best's photography of our ancient homeland are truly magical. He captured the true essence of Mono Lake, Yosemite, Hetch Hetchy and the Sierra Nevada.

This book is a must have for those of you who love nature, photography, and John Muir.
Chief Tenaya was the founder of the Paiute Colony of Ahwahnee
Yosemite_Indian
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite History