Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Off-topic: 3 day backpacking trip near Las Vegas

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Off-topic: 3 day backpacking trip near Las Vegas

Postby Sankaty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm planning on heading to Vegas in late April or May and want to detor and get in a 2 or 3 night backpacking trip in the area (3-4 hr drive).

I'm wondering if anyone can offer a suggestion for a starting point for my research. How is Zion NP? Death Valley NP?

Thanks in advance.
Sankaty

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Death Valley is usually too hot by May (average is 99F, with a high of 122F). March - April is springtime there. It'll be in 60-70F range during wintertime. Not a lot of backpacking opportunities, tho there are a couple of routes with water sources... if you're not an experienced desert hiker it might not be real fun.

Zion's quite a lot different - wildflowers peak in May. Normal temps will be in the 80s but you have to be prepared for highs into the 100s too...The weather's unpredictable in spring. Might have some pretty cold nights.

A good starting point would be the official website for either park... they have all the climate data, wilderness permit info, and list of trails. Some googling will get you sites like this one.[/url]
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Just a thought, post this in the Hiking outside of Yosemite National Park section...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby LVRAY » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

I have lived in Vegas for the last 14 years and there is not a lot backpacking that can be done in the immediate area. There are plenty of good day hike opportunities in Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, Lovell Canyon, Black Canyon and the Lake Mead area, etc. For a true backpacking experience, I agree with going to Zion National Park. It is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive north of Vegas and most areas should be accessible that time of year. If you have never been to Zion, I would cetainly recomment you see the valley and do some day hikes. For a good 2 night backpack, I would suggest LaVerkin Creek. It should be open that time of year, though I have been snowed on down there as late as the early May.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby LVRAY » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Oops - should have included this link. It is a very good individual's page on the park and its trail. Good info and plenty of pics:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Sankaty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a section for backpacking ouside of YNP.
Sankaty

Postby Wickett » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 am

No biggie. :D
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park