Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Lost Coast/Sinkyone Wilderness

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Lost Coast/Sinkyone Wilderness

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 am

We did the north half of the Lost Coast Trail from Mattole-Shelter Cove last year (timing passages by tide tables was a new one for me), but we're feeling a little unsatisfied by not finishing from there to Usal. Anybody have any feedback or useful advice on the southern portion through the Sinkyone Wilderness , ie: best camping, water, notably sketchy creek crossings, trail conditions, anything you learned that you wish you already knew...? We want to try to go some time in October or maybe over the kids' Thanksgiving break, weather permitting.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Lost Coast/Sinkyone Wilderness

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:30 am

Replying to myself: We just did this trip over Labor Day weekend. If anyone is interested in the trip notes, I'll be happy to share them, although I'm thinking of writing a blog on it. 28 miles of trail, with 12,000 feet of elevation gain/loss. Undoubtedly one of the most breathtaking, yet brutal, routes we've ever been on.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park