Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Delayed trip reports - Rae Lakes, Mineral King, Trinity Alps

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Delayed trip reports - Rae Lakes, Mineral King, Trinity Alps

Postby jartelt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 am

I am just hoping to share several trip reports I finally got around to writing. They are not from recent trips, so please do not confuse the conditions in the images for the current conditions. I just figured the report could useful for planning or inspiration for others looking forward to next year!

Rae Lakes Loop - Kings Canyon National Park

We hiked this loop in July, 2016. The loop is ~40 miles long and we hiked it in 4 days. The views are really great and the trail forms a perfect backpacking loop . We loved almost everything about this hike. The only downside was that it is a bit crowded and popular. Full report here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com ... akes-loop/

View from Glen Pass

Fresh melt lake near Glen Pass

Rae Lakes

Valley near Rae Lakes

Mineral King Area - Sequoia National Park

We hiked this loop in September, 2015. This is a 45 mile loop that goes up over Sawtooth Pass and then goes along a portion of the High Sierra Trail. The views along this trek were some of the best I have seen, and this has been my favorite backpacking loop. I though it was prettier than the Rae Lakes Loop and we saw hardly any other hikers. Full report here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com ... eral-king/

Looking down into the Hamilton Lakes Basin

Kaweah Pass

Precipice Lake

Nine Lakes Basin

Along the High Sierra Trail

Trinity Alps Wilderness - Northern California

We did this hike in July, 2017. It is a 25 mile out and back hike that goes to two great lakes in the Trinity Alps. The area was really nice and had great meadows and waterfalls. The Trinity Alps are nice substitute for the Sierra if you miss out on permits or if everything in the Sierra is still snowy. The full report is here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com ... rald-lake/

Emerald Lake

Sapphire Lake

Caribou Lake

Morris Meadows
jartelt
Regular
Regular

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park