Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park (Canada)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park (Canada)

Postby jartelt » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 pm

I had the pleasure of hiking the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park with my wife in September 2018. We arrive in Banff about a week after much of the smoke was cleared out by some rain. This allowed us to get some nice views, though the visibility still was not perfect. Most of our hiking was in Banff National Park, but we drove to Yoho for one day to do this hike.

The Iceline Trail was really great. We loved the mix of glaciers, mountains, and waterfalls. If you do a full loop from the Takakkaw Falls parking lot, it is about 13 miles with ~3,000 feet of elevation gain. Much of the climbing is in mile 2, so be prepared to push in this section. However, once you get out of the forest, the views do not disappoint!

Below are pictures of some of the highlights. Here is a link to the full post I wrote if you want to see more pictures and learn more about the hike! (https://backpackers-review.com/trip-rep ... ine-trail/)

View from the Iceline Summit looking towards Little Yoho Valley

Alpine Lake along Iceline Trail

Emerald Glacier seen from the Iceline Trail

Little Yoho Valley

Laughing Falls

Takakkaw Falls and the icefield from the Iceline Trail

Takakkaw Falls and the Yoho River

Heading towards the big climb up to the Iceline Trail

Emerald Glacier with a waterfall and lake

One of many great views along the Iceline Trail
jartelt
Regular