Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help identifying location of painting please! (PHOTO)

Information on Photography in Yosemite--tips, techniques, best camera gear, etc.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help identifying location of painting please! (PHOTO)

Postby kyuser1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:01 am

Hello, this is my first post. I bought a painting that i believe is from Yosemite Valley. Does anyone know where this was painted? I have been to Yosemite, but it was back in 2005.

If not Yosemite, where could this be? I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Ive tried looking on Google Earth and other images but cannot find this exact scene. There are no markings on the painting (front/back) other than the artist signature Henry Arthur Elkins.

Henry Arthur Elkins was born in Vershire, Vermont and in 1856 moved to Chicago where he taught himself to paint and began to receive recognition for his paintings. After the Civil War he was one of the first artists to cross the plains to the Rocky Mountains and he quickly became known for his paintings of Colorado and California. Elkins career was sadly cut short by his early death in 1884.

kyuser1

Re: Help identifying location of painting please! (PHOTO)

Postby dan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:10 pm

The dome on the left looks like Liberty Cap, but then the foreground isn't right as the Little Yosemite Valley drops off there and Nevada Falls is immediately to the right.

It could be the domes between Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows, off of the Tioga Road.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Help identifying location of painting please! (PHOTO)

Postby kyuser1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:11 am

dan wrote:The dome on the left looks like Liberty Cap, but then the foreground isn't right as the Little Yosemite Valley drops off there and Nevada Falls is immediately to the right.

It could be the domes between Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows, off of the Tioga Road.

Dan, this is very helpful. Have you given this anymore thought? I have been reviewing your suggestions with photos from the internet and using google earth. However i havent nailed down any locations for certain.

I would love to hear anyone else's opinions as well!

Thank you again, Kevin
kyuser1

Return to Yosemite Photography