Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Geology Underfoot in Yosemite National Park

Books about Yosemite National Park, California

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Geology Underfoot in Yosemite National Park

Postby tonyfarley » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 am

I just finished this book and LOVED it! It's everything I need to get started on my study of Yosemite Geology so I can create my Geology of Yosemite shows. The book has short chapters (vignettes, they call them) on specific places that show an important part in the geologic story of Yosemite.

The book starts with a great introduction to some geology describing the rock types found in Yosemite, glaciers, plate tectonics, and erosion. Then they take you to special places such as Cathedral Peak, Vernal and Nevada Falls, The El Capitan Moraine, The Fissures, Pothole Dome, Little Devil's Postpile, and many more. Each place holds clues to the geologic history of Yosemite. I plan to visit many of the places in this book for my podcast as I just have to see them for myself. Many of the places, I have just walked past not knowing what I was seeing.

You can see more of this review on my blog here: www.yosemitewithtony.com
tonyfarley

Return to Books about Yosemite