Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

San Diego to Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

San Diego to Yosemite

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Author: kek (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-18-05 09:09

I am planning to visit Yosemite next week. We are leaving late Sat night from San Diego to avoid LA traffic and considering staying at hotel in Fresno. If we can make to Fresno at midnight, we can sleep six hours and drive to Yosemite the next morning as campground check in is at 10am.

Good idea or is there a better place to stay?

Also any tips for Hodgdon campground(best private sites), there are only a couple of campgrounds open and this appeared to be the best choice?

We plan on spending on day at Tuolumne meadows (first choice for camping but closed), one day in the valley and one day at glacier point/Mariposa Grove.

Thank You

Re: San Diego to Yosemite
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 09-18-05 09:28

Usually Mariposa or Oakhurst are better choices to stay as they are closer. But considering your late arrival, Fresno is probably better.

The best campgrounds in Hodgdon are on the outside side of the main loop road (more privacy), toward the end of the loop (northeast side of loop, which are more flat). See the campground map at:

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/campground_maps.html
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/campground_maps.html

I'm not sure you have a choice of campground sites there when you make a reservation. If you are going now (mid, late September), there are plenty of sites available. After Labor Day, there aren't as many visitors (due to school schedules and all).

You may be able to get a reservation in a Yosemite Valley Campground this time of year.

Author: kek (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-18-05 09:38

Dan,

Thanks!

I was considering going closer but figured at that point it would be 2 or 3 three in the morning why bother stopping.

I have heard they assign you a spot but if you find a better one you can go back and change it. (I'll try it, hopefully the first ones a winner)

One more question: Since I'm driving in from the south I thought we could stop at the Mariposa Grove and Glacier point. It seems a waste to drive past this to Hodgdon and then back track. Of course the bear thing is everywhere, if my truck is loaded with food can I stop at these location without incident or should i go unload and drive back?

Thanks again!

Date: 09-18-05 11:00

You can stay a night at Wawona Campground, near Mariposa Grove. It's next to the South Fork of the Merced River, but also next to Highway 41, so you get some road noise. This time of year there should be plenty of spaces.

Leave your food in a bear locker (available for each site in all the campgrounds). If you leave your food in the trunk, don't leave overnight anywhere and leave it all out of sight. A bear knows what a covered ice chest or box of food looks like, and has a sense of smell like a dog does.

Date: 09-18-05 11:01

One more thing--there are bear boxes in the parking lot for Mariposa Grove. Usually they are not a problem during the day, especially if there's people about.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite