Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bear Sightings

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bear Sightings

Postby hcky88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 am

So I was wondering if anyone knows the best time and place to catch a bear sighting around this time of year in the park...mainly around yosemite Valley and surrounding areas.
hcky88

Postby Wickett » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:26 am

In the campgrounds at night :lol: During the day they tend to wander around. During the summer when the backpackers camp is open a 2 year old blonde hangs out around it but I don't know of any other hangouts.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am

Bears are all over. I've seen them near Half Dome, throughout the valley floor, night, day, it doesn't really matter. I guess go to where people are yelling bear. :D
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 am

I don't know if it was just coincidence, but last year I saw at least one bear every visit to Yosemite (about 6 visits). I called it "the year of the bear".

Keep an eye out for them. Look for groupings of people looking at something other than at scenic pullouts (say looking into a forest or meadow). If you see a bear while driving stop only if you can get off the road completely, otherwise, just pass it by.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:20 am

sierranomad wrote:I don't know if it was just coincidence, but last year I saw at least one bear every visit to Yosemite (about 6 visits). I called it "the year of the bear".

Keep an eye out for them. Look for groupings of people looking at something other than at scenic pullouts (say looking into a forest or meadow). If you see a bear while driving stop only if you can get off the road completely, otherwise, just pass it by.

We were leaving the valley two years ago when all of the construction was going on so there was one two-lane road in/out. A few people stopped their cars to look at a bear and caused a 4.5 mile backup. (I set my odometer after the cars) They didn't even bother to try and get their cars off, I think the right side tires might of been on the dirt.

I didn't see a bear my first 10 trips or so, after that I have seen several every trip.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

Wickett wrote: A few people stopped their cars to look at a bear and caused a 4.5 mile backup.

I've seen the same thing. Cars stopped on both sides of the road, people walking across....it looked like Curry Village. It caused a huge back-up and the rangers had to come out and tell everyone to move. Quite a mess.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm

The traffic is nothing compared to the kid gouging his girlfriends name in the cliff face right next to Bridal Veil Falls. My buddy went up after him, lets just say he was very lucky to get away. My friend was really heated, as was I.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Wickett wrote: lets just say he was very lucky to get away.

I wish he'd caught him. :wink:
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby b_allen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Thursday afternoon there was one on the Southside of Ahwahnee Meadow at about 6:30 pm.
b_allen

Postby Wickett » Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 am

I love the people who come to a complete stop on the road, leave their cars in the middle of it and run off into the woods to snap some pictures of a bear or a deer. It is still a road and all kinds of traffic and close calls are caused by them. I can't wait to get my air horn installed! :twisted:
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 am

Finding and seeing bears in Yosemite is like hitting the lottery. I have been to Yosemite nearly 20 times in my lifetime and only just on my last trip two weeks ago did I get a good view of a bear. He came out of the woods near the south parking lot of tunnel view, approached a man eating a sandwich in his car, then crossed the road to the north parking area, climbed the wall then meandered down the hill toward the valley. It was an amazing sight! All this at about 11am.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Wed May 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Finding and seeing bears in Yosemite is like hitting the lottery

I wish that was true, because I would be a multi-millionaire by now. I've seen tons of bears in the back country, on the road, in the campgrounds, sows with cubs, big males, blonde, black, brown, etc. You can usually ask the rangers about any bears that are known to be frequent visitors. The rangers do usually like to known about the bears that are in the area and rely on visitors extra set of eyes.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 am

jpcal wrote:
Finding and seeing bears in Yosemite is like hitting the lottery

I wish that was true, because I would be a multi-millionaire by now. I've seen tons of bears

Ha! Yeah, me too. Sometimes I see so many it's funny.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Everytime I've gone out from the Hetch Hetchy trailhead I've seen a bear. I've lost count of how many times I've been to Beehive and saw bears...
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm

oakroscoe wrote:Everytime I've gone out from the Hetch Hetchy trailhead I've seen a bear. I've lost count of how many times I've been to Beehive and saw bears...

I've seen a lot there too. I understand that's where the rangers dump the "problem" bears.

Walking around in the early evening seems to be a good time to spot bears, if that's what you want to do :-).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Next

Return to Visiting Yosemite