Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bear Sightings

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby oakroscoe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 am

I'd heard the same thing dan, so it's either the truth or a very pervasive rumor. However, most of the bears I've seen there have been red tagged...
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 pm

They used to. They don't any more.

They quit doing that around 5 or so years ago.
What they found out was that many of the bears would just
find their way back to, say, the valley floor.

That is what I was told by multiple rangers.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grt_Ape » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 am

While it's true that they're most active in the campgrounds at night...I've found that most often we see one during the day at no particular time.

Here's one we saw on the foot trail along the Merced (5/26/10) between the Mirror Lake shuttle stop and Happy Isles late in the morning:

Grt_Ape

bears in park

Postby Heybooboo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Was just in the park last week and saw 4 bears. As we were driving west (9:30pm) on Northside Drive near El Capitan Meadow we saw a huge bear snooping around a parked car. Then on Saturday around noon I saw a large sow with two cubs just north of the Sentinel Dome trail, on the south side of Sentinel Dome.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Previous

Return to Visiting Yosemite