Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite from Las Vegas

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite from Las Vegas

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Author: David Brooks (---.drkw.com)
Date: 05-22-02 23:50

Hi,
my girlfriend and I are leaving Las Vegas on Sat 6th July to drive to Yosemite. I think it is going to be too far to drive in a day. Could someone tell me how long the drive will take and a good place to break up the journey near Yosemite - Fresno perhaps?? We will be leaving Yosemite on the Wed, how long will it take to drive to San Fran? Finally, where is a good place to stay in Yosemite, what about price/availabily? Many thanks in advance.
Dave (from Scotland).

Re: Yosemite from Las Vegas
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 05-23-02 00:12

Las Vegas to Yosemite Valley is about 8 hours (400 miles, or about 600 km.).

You can't stop in Fresno, it's on the west side of the Sierra Nevada. Las Vegas (aka Lost Wages) is on the east side (desert side) of the Sierra Nevada. Very few roads cross the Sierra Nevada because it's wilderness and has rugged high peaks. The mountain roads are slow going also.

I would drive through Death Valley and stop in Furnace Creek for a little more scenery.

I recommend staying in Mammoth Lakes. It's about the last major town before you head into Yosemite Park from the southeast. It's a ski resort in Winter. You can also stay in Bishop, an hour south, but it's hot in summer in Bishop. For lodging, see
http://yosemite.ca.us/lodging.html

Lodging is difficult to get in the park, unless you reserve in advance. There are places to stay outside the park.

Author: David Brooks (---.drkw.com)
Date: 05-23-02 00:39

Dan,
many thanks for your reply, I was unsure about the best way to get there. Would you stay in Mammoth Lakes before staying in Yosemite Yalley?

Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 05-23-02 09:27

I would drive all the way to Yosemite if I have a reservation in or near the park.

If you don't want to drive that far or are leaving late, stay in Mammoth.

The drive through the High Sierra country on Tioga Road in the park is beautiful--lots of alpine meadows and flowers and massive rocks.

Author: Bryan (---.19.120.24.lvcm.com)
Date: 05-29-02 16:57

I live here in Vegas and my family and I go to Yosemite every summer. We have found that instead of driving through California to get to Yosemite, we go through Nevada. We take Highway 95 (Tonopah) highway north to Tonopah and then cut across on the 120 to Yosemite. The drive is ALOT more exciting then driving through California. This way you go through some great land and you drive right by Mono Lake which is fun. If you would like detailed directions on how to get there, please email me at BORoarke@hotmail.com and I can get them to you. It only takes my family and I about 5 and a half hours to go that way and its only 300 and some change miles.

Author: BORoarke@hotmail.com (---.com)
Date: 09-15-02 00:44

Hi Bryan,

I have being reading your email amd my boyfriend and I plan to go from Las Vegas to Yosemite about the 8th of October. Could you email me the directions via Nevada as time is not really on our side and we would be interested in driving by Mono Lake also.

Thanks

Margaret (Ireland)

Author: Annie Lambert (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 05-29-03 21:29

Hi there Bryan,

I too have read your e-mail with interest, regarding the route from Las Vegas to Yosemite.
Coulsd you possibly send me details of the route, I left UK in 26 hours, so there is a bit of a hurry.
The route you suggest is not only shorter but passing mono Lake, sound terrific too.
Thank you your attention, i shall remain eternally grateful to you.

Annie Lambert (UK)

Author: Michael & Kathryn (---.tnt13.bne1.da.uu.net)
Date: 04-18-04 06:18

There will be six of us (from Australia) departing from Vegas on June 18.
We have two nights booked at Camp Curry.
Your itinery through Tioga Pass sounds the best way to go.
Is there likely to be snow at that time?
Will it be open then, and could you send details to me about the route
and time to reach Camp Curry?
Thanks for all your help.
All the Best from Down Under!

Author: Simone Korkus (---.bb.netvision.net.il)
Date: 06-27-04 00:37

By chance I found Bryan's advice how to drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite Park.

We'll be traveling in mid July.

Could anybody give me detailed directions on how to get from las vegas to Yosemite.We're staying on Henness circle inside the park.
The idea is: to have an interesting and as short as possible drive with three kids(ages 9-15)

Thanks a lot. This will be a very special vacation for our family and I do not want to mess things up.

Author: allyson (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: 10-19-05 21:22

Hi My family and I are traveling form Las Vegas to San Francisco on Wed and returning to Las Vegas on Friday. SHould we go thru Yosemite on the way or on the way back. Either way could you please e-mail your directions to Yosemite thru Nevada on the short route?
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Advice

Postby mandydwd » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Hey i was just wondering if anyone could help me!!! Im from Ireland and me and my boyfriend and two friends are going over to San Fransico to family in early June. We are renting a car and planning on driving to Las Vegas but would like to visit Yosemite park and also Death Valley along the way.

We would like to leave San fransico early in the morning and visit yosemite park and then travel on a little more and stay the night somewhere, then the next morning travel on to death valley and visit that and then drive onto Las vegas, hopefully not arriving to late!

I was just wondering if this sounds achievable, and also if anyone could give me any advice on where would be a good place to stay?? Preferably in a town as we have watched far to many scary movies about Motels in the middle of nowhere haha!! Also we would like to travel back straight from Las Vegas to San Fransico in one go?? Will this be achievable??

And also if anyone has any advice or tips for us as it is our first time doing something like this. We are going to have Satalite navigation so hopefully getting lost will be ruled out. But any advice on making sure we dont run out of petrol or anything??

Thanks a million for any help i get!! Amanda!
mandydwd

Re: Advice

Postby dan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:17 pm

mandydwd wrote:Hey i was just wondering if anyone could help me!!! Im from Ireland and me and my boyfriend and two friends are going over to San Fransico to family in early June. We are renting a car and planning on driving to Las Vegas but would like to visit Yosemite park and also Death Valley along the way.

San Francisco--named after St. Francis of Assisi by the Spanish.

Getting to Yosemite from San Francisco is easy--you usually take Highways I-580 to I-205 then 120 into Yosemite.

The problem is Yosemite to Las Vegas. You take Highway 120 east (Tioga Road) over the Sierra Nevada, but the road is closed in winter--it's the highest highway in California. It usually opens in late May, but some years it's not open until Early July. If the road is not open, you have to head north and go over the Sierra Nevada at I-80 and through Lake Tahoe or head south and go over the Sierra Nevada at Highway 178. Either way adds several hours to the trip. After that, take US HIghway 395 south to Highway 190, which is the main road through Death Valley and heads toward Las Vegas (through other roads).

Watch these two websites to see if Highway 120 (Tioga Road) is open as your trip gets closer:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

mandydwd wrote:We would like to leave San fransico early in the morning and visit yosemite park and then travel on a little more and stay the night somewhere, then the next morning travel on to death valley and visit that and then drive onto Las vegas, hopefully not arriving to late!

I was just wondering if this sounds achievable, and also if anyone could give me any advice on where would be a good place to stay?? Preferably in a town as we have watched far to many scary movies about Motels in the middle of nowhere haha!! Also we would like to travel back straight from Las Vegas to San Fransico in one go?? Will this be achievable??

Yes you can do it in a day--a long day (600 miles, 1000 km., 9-10 hours + stops). Bishop or Lone Pine, California are small towns about half way with multiple motels and restaurants. Mammoth Lake, California, an hour north of Bishop is a ski resort in Winter and a mountain bike and outdoor sports resort in Summer. They don't murder their customers either--bad for business :-).

mandydwd wrote:And also if anyone has any advice or tips for us as it is our first time doing something like this. We are going to have Satalite navigation so hopefully getting lost will be ruled out. But any advice on making sure we dont run out of petrol or anything??

GPS navigation may not show whether Tioga Road is closed in winter due to snowpack. Avoid unpaved roads--stick to the highways if you're unfamiliar with the aread.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mandydwd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 am

Thanks a million for all the advice!! Ill keep a look out for the road being closed!! I think we will stay in Bishop, haha we are Innocent country people are afriad of everything!! This is such a big change for us but im so excited!!!

Thanks again!!! :D
mandydwd

Postby jongerard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

[size=7]
laureng wrote:
mandydwd wrote:Thanks a million for all the advice re: !! Ill keep a look out for the road being closed!! I think we will stay in Bishop, haha we are Innocent country people are afriad of everything!! This is such a big change for us but im so excited!!!
Thanks again!!! :D
Mandy

Every summer, our family would take a trip to Yosemite. We didn't have a lot of money but camping out with all of my brothers, sisters, and parents are the best memories I have! Absolutely beautiful and breathtaking!
A must see for everyone!!!

I hear you! There is no better family vacation than to Yosemite. Pure beauty!!!!!!!!!!
Peace,
J.G.
jongerard

Postby jongerard » Fri May 28, 2010 1:02 pm

We just got back from there. Spend spring break with the kids in Yosemite and had a blast. Initiation was to jump in the cold water, and boy was it cooooold!

Do you have any recommendations on where to stay? I'd like to try a cabin or a lodge this time instead of camping out.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated :D

Jon
jongerard

Postby Wickett » Sat May 29, 2010 10:10 am

Do you have any recommendations on where to stay? I'd like to try a cabin or a lodge this time instead of camping out.

Jon

Anywhere you can find room for :D

I have stayed a few places in the valley and have been happy with them all. If you can spring it, stay in the Ahwahnee, it is a must see even if you don't stay there.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:04 am

jongerard wrote:
We just got back from there. Spend spring break with the kids in Yosemite and had a blast. Initiation was to jump in the cold water, and boy was it cooooold!

Jon
It really depends on when you are going and how much you want to spend. Staying in the valley, as opposed to outside like in El Portal is my preference.

There are many good choices, with the Ahwahnee being the number 1, Yosemite Lodge #2 and Curry Village #3. If you stay at the Lodge, ask for a room with a view of Yosemite Falls. If you stay at Curry, be aware that the tent cabins can get very cold at night Fall-Spring, so bring a sleeping bag or rent a heated cabin, or stay in one of their hard sided cabins or motel style rooms in the Stoneman House. I can offer no advice about the Ahwahnee because it has always been too expensive for me to stay there. Whatever you decide, make your reservations as early as possible, you can call up to a year in advance, and many people do. Have fun!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kcamisado » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I actually live in Yosemite and am hoping to travel to Vegas soon...some of your responses were helpful, but how long does it take to get there and where are some good hotels to stay?
kcamisado

Postby kcamisado » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Some friends have recommended things to me, but I would like other opinions...
kcamisado

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:22 am

"Good" is very subjective. For me, good is a bargain price, which means the Motel 6 next to Tropicana. Usually can't beat the price (sometimes Circus Circus has deals during the week in off season in their old manor rooms that come close), and the rooms are clean and the place is close enough to walk to the south end of the strip if you are a walker. You are minutes from Tropicana, MGM, Excalibur, etc.

TIP: if you go to Motel 6, book it online, you'll get a better deal than calling. Not all Motel 6s have deals online, but many do and the last time I stayed at that one they did have web prices.

Trivia: that location is the largest Motel 6 in the world.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 am

I like the Monte Carlo. It's a good hotel on the strip, 4 star (Mobil), but not as expensive. Nothing really special about the hotel, but it has nice rooms and it's on the southern end of the strip. There's a free tram to Bellagio.

Cheapest rooms are off-strip. Excalibur rooms are also cheap. Not sure I want to stay there though :-).

As for visiting, I like the Bellagio (outdoor garden and fountains), Venetian (Gondola rides indoors and outdoors, and dining/listening to music performances at the reproduction of St. Marks Square, dining at Paris (and the Eiffel tower ride), and the "Sirens" show in front of TI (Treasure Island). Not into gaming, so have to ask someone else about that.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:38 am

kcamisado wrote:WOW thanks for that input!!
Do you feel it is worth it to pend that extra money to stay on the strip?

Yeah, because you're right there and can walk around, instead of spending your time in traffic and in a boring part of Vegas.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 pm

All the hotels have free parking, so IMO, staying off strip is not that inconvenient. I suppose if you want to walk the strip and drink, then it could be a problem. The last time I was there, I stayed at the RV park. I drove my truck to the Paris hotel and parked for free, then walked up and down the strip from there.

I guess "worth it" really depends on your budget. For me, saving $40-50 is a lot of money.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite