Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Curry Village Tent Cabin Bear Proof Storage Locker

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Curry Village Tent Cabin Bear Proof Storage Locker

Postby Erich1B » Tue May 18, 2010 5:12 pm

My wife and I will be staying in a Curry Village Tent Cabin in three weeks.

Can anyone advise me if I need to provide any sort of lock for storing food items in the bear-proof lockers?

Thanks...............Erich
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Each tent cabin now has its own locker, which is a lot nicer than it used to be, which was a line of them near the parking lot. So the lock is optional. It gives you peace of mind, but I doubt anyone will steal food. Just don't put anything in there of high value. A cooler worth $40 and $30 worth of food would be a pain to lose, but not a big deal.

But honestly, people come and go all the time, so someone would have to be pretty ballsy (and starving I guess) to steal food from a locker.

If your question was "Do they provide locks?" No, if you want one, bring your own.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm

hotrod4x5 wrote:Each tent cabin now has its own locker, which is a lot nicer than it used to be, which was a line of them near the parking lot. So the lock is optional. It gives you peace of mind, but I doubt anyone will steal food. Just don't put anything in there of high value. A cooler worth $40 and $30 worth of food would be a pain to lose, but not a big deal.

But honestly, people come and go all the time, so someone would have to be pretty ballsy (and starving I guess) to steal food from a locker.

If your question was "Do they provide locks?" No, if you want one, bring your own.

Thanks for the feedback. From your response, it sounds like the box is secure enough on it's own (bear can't get in) that it doesn't need a lock.

But, as you mentioned, if I wanted to bring my own lock I would have that option.

The only thing in the locker would be food. I plan to bring nothing of any significant value.

I keep reading the current conditions at Yosemite website, and hope I'll be able to climb half dome during the week (wonder when the cables will go up) as I understand that you have to have a permit Friday through Sunday.

Thanks again.....Erich
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Oh yes, they cannot be opened by bears, well, theoretically, with or without a lock. The latch is reached with fingers up, and inside the mechanism.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite