Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How to get to Sentinel Dome?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How to get to Sentinel Dome?

Postby GuitarManDave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:56 am

I'll be visiting Yosemite the first week of September.

So far my plan has been to use entirely public transportation. That covers us for most of the activities we plan including:

- Bus to Glacier point, hike down
- Bus to Tuollomne meadow (maybe hike back)
- Bus to Mariposa pines
- Bus throughout the valley

The one place I really want to visit is Sentinel dome. It was one of the highlights of my trip a few years ago and I really want to go back. Is there a way to get to/from the trail head that is along the road to Glacier point (without hiking the entire way)?

I'd hate to have to rent a car just for this!

Thanks
GuitarManDave

Postby Wickett » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 am

Which week in Sept? I will be there the 5-11th and will give you a ride if you so desire. Thursday I will be going up to Tenaya Lake and hiking all the way down Tenaya Canyon. I have no other plans besides that and will be all over the park.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby GuitarManDave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 am

Wickett wrote:Which week in Sept? I will be there the 5-11th and will give you a ride if you so desire. Thursday I will be going up to Tenaya Lake and hiking all the way down Tenaya Canyon. I have no other plans besides that and will be all over the park.

Thanks - that's very kind of you! I'll be there with my two sons (14&16) Sept 5th-9th. I'll let you know as the date gets closer and see if your offer still stands.
GuitarManDave

Postby Wickett » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I will PM you my number. It can be a little spotty in the park but I will be there.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 pm

You can get to Sentinel Dome from Glacier Point.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: How to get to Sentinel Dome?

Postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

GuitarManDave wrote:I'l
The one place I really want to visit is Sentinel dome. It was one of the highlights of my trip a few years ago and I really want to go back. Is there a way to get to/from the trail head that is along the road to Glacier point (without hiking the entire way)?

If you can get to Glacier Point (such as by the tour bus from Yosemite Valley), you can walk to Sentinel Dome via the trail along the south rim. You can get there in under an hour. You can then walk back to Glacier Point and catch the bus (if it hasn't left), or walk down the Four Mile Trail to the Valley floor (ends up at the "Swinging Bridge", which no longer swings, just southwest of Yosemite Lodge).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite