Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite road conditions and public transportation

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite road conditions and public transportation

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:50 pm

Author: Jeffery T (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: 03-19-04 09:25

I am planning a first time visit to Yosemite. I am wondering how difficult it is to drive through those mountains. I would be comming from the south. I wonder if the roads are like Yellowstone: steep, narrow, and winding. Maybe there is a bus into Yosemite from the Fresno Airport. I hate driving through mountains.

Re: Driving Conditions?
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 03-19-04 09:48

Yes, the roads are steep, narrow, and winding. They are made for sightseeing, not speed.

If you prefer a bus, you can use a local bus system that takes people into the park from Fresno, Merced, and other nearby communities. It's called YARTS. See http://www.yarts.com/

One inside the park, the concessionaire, YCS, operates a bus system into the park--including a bus to Glacier Point and Tuolumne Meadows and tour busses from Yosemite Valley.

Any way to fly and ride?
Author: Jeffery T (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: 03-20-04 21:32

Yarts does not run from Fresno, only east to Lee Vining or west to Merced. Does anyone know what airlines fly into Merced? They don't seem to have a website.

Re: Any way to fly and ride?
Author: Dan Anderson (10.11.12.---)
Date: 03-28-04 22:00

Greyhound Bus runs from Fresno and Merced (and other cities along Highway 99).

Scenic Airlines has scheduled flights between Merced Airport and Las Vegas. More scheduled flights will appear after the Merced Airport is improved.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite