Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Where is the Octagon?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Where is the Octagon?

Postby TrayS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 am

A friend who spent a summer working at Yosemite has told us about an awesome swimming hole called the Octagon, but he can't remember where it is and Google searching has led me only to know that it is near Briceburg. If anyone is able to share more detailed instructions that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Re: Where is the Octagon?

Postby dan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:16 pm

The Octagon was orignally an Orange Juice and fast food stand on the south side of Highway 140 between Briceburg and El Portal (closer to Briceburg). It's on the steep road that heads to the bottom of the Merced River Canyon. I don't know when it closed, but my guess was the 1980s or maybe 1970s. It's still there--recently repainted bright orange and a 8-side concrete slab fast food drive-in type joint (but still closed). Here's a photo: http://www.mariposaresearch.net/octagon.html

The swimming hole by the name of "The Octagon" is on Bear Creek below the fast food Octagon. I found this reference at this link http://www.supertopo.com/climbingareas/yosemite.html
What do you do when Valley temperatures hit the 90's? Head for the water. . . . If you are willing to drive 40 minutes, there are two great swimming holes outside of the Park boundaries. About ten miles west of the Highway 120 entrance station, take a left immediately after a large bridge. Here you will have your choice of jumping off 15-25' cliffs or just kicking back next to the water. About 15 miles west of the Highway 140 entrance station is the Octagon, which features a rope swing, sketchy cliff and tree jumps and great spots to kick back and have a BBQ. The directions to this place are more devious so you will have to hunt down a local Yosemite climber for info.
Last edited by dan on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks!!

Postby TrayS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 am

Appreciate the helpful info :)
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Return to Visiting Yosemite