Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trip Planning

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trip Planning

Postby petho » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 am

I have searched the forum but I could not find the answers.
We are planning our Summer trip through the park. I am going to enter through Lee Vining and end up in the valley. I was hoping to reserve a spot for one night in Toulomne Meadows however the morning the spots came available, they all seemed to be taken on the web site and the phone lines were jammed.
I was able to find a spot at Hogdon Meadows for a night so I am thinking that I might be able to get a first come spot at TM the day before Hogdon and then continue to the Curry Village.

My question is, how screwed are we if there are no first come spots available at TM? What are my chances to get one and what is the procedure?
This will be our first trek up the Tioga Pass so we are excited but a bit bummed about the lack of reservations.
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Tuolumne Meadows Campground

Postby dan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 am

petho wrote:My question is, how screwed are we if there are no first come spots available at TM? What are my chances to get one and what is the procedure?

Hodgdon Meadow Campground is a good backup--it's not easy to get to--several miles of dirt road, but it's peaceful and quiet. You might also try Saddleback Lakes Campground, a large National Forest campground side of the park northeast of Tioga Pass

You're best bet is to look for a spot as people are packing up and leaving--say around 9-11am. It's best to do this Mon.-Thurs., the weekend is just too popular. The procedure is first-come, first-served. Grab the site and pay at the Ranger Kiosk at the campground entrance.

Another option is to try for another date. Look at www.yosemitesites.com for campground availability. Be ready with the web browser the minute the campgrounds are made available. Reserve directly at www.recreation.gov and search for the Tuolumne Meadows Campground in advance. Other websites are third-party commission and are slower (and cost more).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petho » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for the tips. Can you tell me how long it takes to drive from Hogdon Meadows to TMeadows?
I can predict by the map but I dont know what the road is like.
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

petho wrote:Thanks for the tips. Can you tell me how long it takes to drive from Hogdon Meadows to TMeadows?
I can predict by the map but I dont know what the road is like.
It's about 50 miles, and will take at least an hour. The speed limit is between 25 and 35 all the way.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby QITNL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 pm

If you were trying to reserve a campsite in TM on 2/15, you would have been unable to simply because reservations have yet to become available. From Recreation.gov:

2011 OPENING DATE UNKNOWN: Due to the heavy sierra snowpack, the opening date for the Tuolumne Meadows campground is unknown for 2011. In an effort to avoid canceling reservations, we will not be taking any reservations for any arrival dates prior to July 15. Once we can determine a firm opening date, sites will be released for sale prior to this date. We do not anticipate any opening date predictions until mid to late June.

To book between 7/15 and 8/15, you'll need to login at 7AM on 3/15. Dig?
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite