Page 1 of 1

Florida to California

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am
by schwaa
Hello everyone, I've been doing some research for an up coming trip. The girlfriend and I will be visiting your neck of the woods mid July. We are planning on hiking Tuolumne meadows to LYV(Cathedral Lakes>LYV). This forum has been a great help in figuring out the little bits of information that are near impossible to find without local help. I'm curious as to whether or not this is a safe time to hike this area. I am under the impression that all of the snow should be gone by the time we arrive, am I correct? We are hoping to to visit Clouds Rest, Sunrise lake, sleep around the junction and make an early climb up Half dome(I know, typical tourist right?). We did not get the chance to secure permits for the desired trail, but it sounds as if it should not be that difficult to obtain unclaimed permits or the non-reserved permits(24 hours prior). I'm sure this is a popular trail head, any chances of a problem arising?

We also have the option of arriving at the very end of June. Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help and insight. It is GREATLY appreciated!


Re: Florida to California

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 pm
by dan
The snow is gone by mid-July, at least the part easily accessible by road, even the high-country. On the glaciers and year-round snowfields near the peaks, the snow is always there.

schwaa wrote:We are hoping to to visit Clouds Rest, Sunrise lake, sleep around the junction and make an early climb up Half dome

I would at least try to get a permit ahead of time. If you're flexible, you can try for one the day before when they first open. There's a Wilderness Office in Tuolumne Meadows and another in Yosemite Valley.

Here's a great tip by AlmostThere at :
AlmostThere wrote:You show up the day you want to go at the wilderness office, when it opens. You ask for first come/first serve for the same day. If there is one left over from yesterday you get one - more likely if you are there Monday - Thursday. No permit? Okay, wait til 10 am, when the unclaimed reserved permits are offered to walk ins, and check again.

still no permit? hang out til 11 am and ask for a walk in for tomorrow. If you get one you go to the backpacker campground and set up, then tourist around the valley, have pizza in curry, etc. and hike in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:05 am
by schwaa
Thanks for the info. If we do wind up going, I will be following the quoted tactic! Plans on hold at the moment. My hiking partner/girlfriend just got diagnosed with a herniated and degenerative L5-S1 disc. I really wish plane tickets were refundable, that would make this so much easier.