Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

"Plan B" for August 2nd Visit

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

"Plan B" for August 2nd Visit

Postby odd man out » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 am

We (husband and wife ages 55+/-) have reservations for 4 nights at the Yosemite Lodge starting August 2. We will fly into SFO and have a one full day scheduled in San Francisco before driving to Yosemite. We were planning on taking two days to get back to SFO with an overnight in Monterey before our flight home. However, August 2 is the date the government is scheduled to shut down if they can't raise the debt limit. Anyone have a suggestion for a "Plan B" if we get there and find the park is closed?
odd man out

Re: "Plan B" for August 2nd Visit

Postby Ljrack » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 am

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Th shutdown may or may not happen, but it's my understanding that they can not shut down certain parks that have main highways that provide thuroughfares that happen to go through parks. Highways such as 120 is a commercial, public route that must remain open for the public to be able to conduct business over the Sierra. Also, roads must remain open since Yosemite Village is literally a town, with a Post Office and other public and private business. If there is a shut down, I expect parks like Yosemite to reduce staff and perhaps prohibit day use of the park. But if you have residence, lodging or business in Yosemite it's highly likely you will be able to get in and out of the park.

Otherwise, worse case, extend your time in Monterey and the Pacific Coast.

Lon
Ljrack
Regular
Regular

Re: "Plan B" for August 2nd Visit

Postby dan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:17 am

The coast highway, Highway 1, is beautiful along the California coast between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Also the coastal redwoods.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite