Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visiting in a few weeks

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visiting in a few weeks

Postby chiphotos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:10 am

Hi, I am thinking of visiting Yosemite in late July for 4-5 days from the east cost. Flights to San Fran are cheaper.

Logistically, how much more of a drive is it from there to the park? Also, I am looking for waterfalls and some half day hikes with views into the valley for photos.

Are there any overlooks into the valley that are car accessible since I do not have as much time as I would like?

For lodging, what is the closest town to the park / valley that has cheap hotels.

Purpose of trip is light hiking and photography. Travelling alone, so I am avoiding backpacking due to lack of experience.
chiphotos
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Visiting in a few weeks

Postby dan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 am

The drive from SFO AIrport to Yosemite is about 5 hours, more in traffic. Avoid arriving around the evening rush hour.

There's plenty of waterfalls and hikes in Yosemite Valley. Here's a Park Service description of valley hikes and a link to a PDF day hike map:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

Go to Glacier Point for a view of Yosemite Valley. It's about a 1 hour drive from the Valley.

The cheaper hotels are in Oakhurst, Mariposa, and (the closest) El Portal. If you want cheaper, stay in San Joaquin Valley--Merced, for example. That's a long drive though.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite