Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite in a day and a half- best route?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite in a day and a half- best route?

Postby Mikepcon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 am

Hi
I know similar versions of this has been done before, but I would like to have a good plan of action.

We (including 2 kids 16 and 13) are travelling to Yosemite from San Francisco at the start of August. We should get to Yosemite around 3pm. We have booked to stay in Curry Village for one night so was wondering what is the best plan to see as much as possible without tiring ourselves out?
A lot of posts I have seen say about taking the tour, so presumably the tours do not have the same traffic problems we would have in our car.

We plan to leave early evening the following day, but can stay later if necessary.
Mikepcon

Re: Yosemite in a day and a half- best route?

Postby dan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

The congested areas tend to be the grocery store and around the restaurants/fast food. The tour doesn't go there and they have their own special lane in a few places. I highly recommend the tour. Then you can go see more on your own that interests you the most. There's a free shuttle bus that goes in a continuous loop in the east end of the Valley. I recommend seeing Yosemite Falls and stopping at the west end of the Valley at Tunnel View (aka Inspiration Point), Bridalveil Falls (both falls are short walks), and El Capitan.

I also recommend seeing the Valley from above at Glacier Point. Early morning is less crowded.

If you had more time, I would see Wawona Grove (Giant Sequoias), but that takes a day (half day to visit, then driving there and back). They have another open air shuttle tour there that tours the grove, or you can walk.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mikepcon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Should we plan to do anything with the first part of a day?
Mikepcon

Postby dan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Mikepcon wrote:Should we plan to do anything with the first part of a day?

Yeah--go on the tour.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mikepcon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 am

So, we do the tour when we arrive and then do our own thing with the next day.

Are there various tours?
Mikepcon

Return to Visiting Yosemite