Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

YOSEMITE FIRST TIMER!!!! what to do???

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

YOSEMITE FIRST TIMER!!!! what to do???

Postby stripgaga » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

So I got my reservation today in upper pines for beginning of July!!!! I'm so stoked. I honestly can't wait for wait for July and wish I could just hope in a time machine and fast forward until then. I was so depressed last year that I couldn't get my reso for Yosemite, but I turned that frown upside down when my homies and I were able to go to Silver Lake instead, which is close by, and we still hiked and saw some amazing stuff.

Now, as a first timer, I'm sure I'm in the midst of Yosemite veterans. I'm going to be there for 5 days. I'm gonna enter the Half Dome permit lottery next month so besides the HD hike, what should I do and cannot miss as someone whose never gone? Best trails? Best sights? Best activities? I feel like a kid in nature's candy store
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: YOSEMITE FIRST TIMER!!!! what to do???

Postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 am

Off the top of my head, I think:
  • Visit Glacier Point. It has the best view of Yosemite Valley, I think. It gets crowded there, so I prefer earlier in the morning, or take a hike down Four Mile Trail (you can take a tour bus to the top, so you don't have to go back).
  • The Giant Sequoia grove at Wawona. There's an open-air shuttle or you can hike there from the parking lot.
  • Tuolumne Meadows on the Tioga Road. Lots of great day hikes around the area.
  • The falls of Yosemite Valley. There's a good introductory open air tram tour led by a ranger.
  • If you in Yosemite Valley the right time of year, rent a raft and head down the Merced River. The river level has to be right (not too high, not too low, usually sometime in June or July). Call the bike shop in Curry Village for info.
  • You can also rent or bring a bike and ride around Yosemite Valley. Great in summer. Kind of cold other times.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 am

I would also suggest that if you are not a strong frequent hiker, Half Dome may not be ideal. The majority of the injuries and casualties in the park happen on that hike. 16 miles and a lot of climbing is frequently too much for unconditioned feet and lungs. Rather than suffering to do something everyone else does, or tries to do, or half destroys themselves and spend the remainder of the vacation in recovery, I suggest North Dome - best view of Half Dome in the park, eight miles round trip, not as much climbing, and no permits to fuss about.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stripgaga » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a pro master hiker, but I've done a lot of hikes and am in good physical shape. I'd love to do it and push myself but yeah I'll definitely keep that in mind since I'll be there for 5 days and don't want to kill myself one day and not be able to do anything the rest of the trip. It just depends on what my group wants to do.

Yeah I saw about rafting on the merced river on the website, that sounds like a lot fun. Hopefully it'll be at the right level during our trip. We're going July 9th-14th.

The Dan: Are all those hikes/points you talked about that offer shuttles really long to hike? Or do they just offer shuttles because they're popular spots?
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:47 pm

stripgaga wrote:Are all those hikes/points you talked about that offer shuttles really long to hike? Or do they just offer shuttles because they're popular spots?

The Glacier Point bus is actually a tour bus from the Yosemite Valley hotels to Glacier Point. Some, but not most, also use it as a shuttle to get to Glacier Point and hike down, one way, the Four Mile Trail or the Panorama Trail.

The Valley tour is just that--an introductory tour. It's good if you're not familiar with Yosemite Valley and you learn about spots away from the crowds that you can check out later.

Rafting down the Merced River is a blast. It's at your own pace and you can stop along the way and picnic. Very relaxing.

There's also a "hiker's shuttle" offered by the park concessionaire that takes you from the Yosemite Valley hotels and drops you along pull-outs and trailheads on Tioga Road. Then you hike down to the Valley, one way. This bus is just for hikers (unlike the Glacier Point tour bus).

The concessionaire website is http://www.yosemitepark.com/
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Stripgaga,

If you're thinking about hiking Half Dome, consider doing the Mist Trail first. It features some challenging terrain and a pair of restaurant quality waterfalls, and is almost worth the trip to Yosemite, all by itself. And, many of the people who do hike Half Dome do so
via this trail. If you're hiking in a group, some might decide that the Mist Trail is beyond their limits, and decide to avoid Half Dome.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Dave
Regular
Regular

Postby stripgaga » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:50 pm

I was able to get a permit for Half Dome so I will be hiking this when I go. For my group, at the most it's gonna be 6, all of my friends who I've camped and hiked with before who I trust and are fully aware of the hike. As far as the Mist Trail, a lot of hikes and a book I just got say to start there, although it is definitely a tough start. What do you mean that in a group it would be beyond our limits?
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:47 am

Mist Trail features some steep, lung burning spots. In a large group,
not everyone is of equal fitness. Some will eat this trail up, while
others will be intimidated by it.

If everyone in a group can't make it to the top of Mist Trail, they certainly
won't make Half Dome.
Dave
Regular
Regular

Postby travelbug » Fri May 11, 2012 3:37 am

The first place to see, and the most obvious, is the Valley. In June the waterfalls should all be going full force, and you should be able to see and hear them throughout the valley. If you are physically able you might want to make the hike up to Vernal and Nevada Falls. If you are better able you could continue up the trail to Half Dome. Please be advised that you now need a permit for Half Dome on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. Allow one entire day just for the valley. Part of one day for the Sequoia's at Wawona and Glacier Point. One day for Tioga Pass. Take the pass all the way to Mono Lake, which is a large, inland salt lake with interesting formations. If you start early enough you can head north to Bodie, the best preserved ghost town in California.
travelbug
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 11, 2012 6:37 am

travelbug wrote:The first place to see, and the most obvious, is the Valley. In June the waterfalls should all be going full force, and you should be able to see and hear them throughout the valley. If you are physically able you might want to make the hike up to Vernal and Nevada Falls. If you are better able you could continue up the trail to Half Dome. Please be advised that you now need a permit for Half Dome on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. Allow one entire day just for the valley. Part of one day for the Sequoia's at Wawona and Glacier Point. One day for Tioga Pass. Take the pass all the way to Mono Lake, which is a large, inland salt lake with interesting formations. If you start early enough you can head north to Bodie, the best preserved ghost town in California.

1. The waterfalls will be puny in June this year. Not enough snow fell to make the usual display prominent.

2. You need to update your Half Dome permit information - permits are mandatory every day of the week. They check for them at the base of the cables on an ongoing and random basis - even at night.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stripgaga » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 pm

I camped last year at Silver Lake so I'm familiar with the mono lake area so I probably won't be going as far as across tioga road or even out of the yosemite area for that matter
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite