Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

TRANSPORT OPTIONS MAMMOTH LAKES TO YOSEMITE

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

TRANSPORT OPTIONS MAMMOTH LAKES TO YOSEMITE

Postby tarry362 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 am

We are exiting our section of the trail at Devil's Postpile. We initially intended to catch the YARTS back to Yosemite but have just realized that this service operates only on the weekends through September. We are exiting on Sept 3rd which is a Monday and now are wondering what our options would be for a return to Yosemite which is where our vehicle will be. Have googled for options but cannot seem to find any. All help and advice welcomed.

Thanks.
tarry362

Re: TRANSPORT OPTIONS MAMMOTH LAKES TO YOSEMITE

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:32 am

YARTS or hike back, or hire a private shuttle, is about all I know.

I know it's no help, but you also need to check on the shuttles that run from Reds Meadow. They ALSO shut down sometime in September. So you would have to also walk out of Reds to Mammoth Lakes or hitch a ride, just to get to one of the YARTS stops in town.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 am

There's a shuttle from Devil's Postpile to Minaret Summit in Summer. I just looked--they end Sept. 5:
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/r ... mation.htm

After that, private cars are allowed on the Minaret Road without restriction. Hitchhike or hire a cab from Mammoth Lakes. The first method takes forever, but is free or cheap. The second method (cab) is faster, but more expensive. You could take the cab to Mammoth Lakes or to Lee Vining junction (with the Tioga Road). Hitch hike up Tioga Road--also time consuming. It's better if one of the "we" is female--less intimidating :-). Or take the bus to Carson City, then on another on to Merced.

Or drop off a car at the other end--certainly faster than taking a several legs of bus trips or hitch hike runs.

It's better to do this in the summer (or at least before YARTS and the Minaret shuttles shut down). Then you an take the Minaret shuttle bus and the YARTS shuttle. That's the best option from my point of view.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby tarry362 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We have decided to drive to Mammoth Lakes, leave the vehicle there and get the Yarts back on the Sunday morning ready to start the trail on the Monday morning. just a bit hard really as we are coming in from the Uk and our dates are pretty tight. Oh well it all adds to the adventure!! Will be worth it once we are out in the wilderness.

Thanks again guys.
tarry362

Return to Visiting Yosemite