Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

YOSEMITE IN SEPTEMBER

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

YOSEMITE IN SEPTEMBER

Postby samsouza » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm planning a trip to Yosemite in September or early Octuber. It's my first time there and I'd like to know the see/do.

I'm not sure yet how many days I'll have in the park, but should be around 2 or 3.

I've read about the Four Mile Trail, from Glacier Point. Is it a easy one?

Tks for the help.
samsouza

Re: YOSEMITE IN SEPTEMBER

Postby dan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

After Labor Day (first Monday in Sept.) it should be uncrowded. It's starting to cool down, especially in the high country (Tioga Road).

I don't know what's still running. There's a tour bus from Yosemite Valley to Glacier Point that runs in the morning. See http://www.yosemitepark.com/ for details. Then you can walk down the trail. If the bus is not running, you have to walk up and down, making it basically a full day (unless you leave early or rush). Walking down is easy, unless you have knee problems. Walking up and down is not hard--it's a nice trail, but you need to be in reasonable shape.

Glacier Point is a terrific view of Yosemite Valley (and Little Yosemite Valley). If you have limited time, you can just drive to Glacier Point.

There's also the Giant Sequoias groves. The best is the Mariposa Grove at the southern end of the park. The tour busses are probably not running then, but you can walk. Another full day. There are two other smaller Sequoia groves north of Yosemite Valley that are easier to reach.

Then there's the classical falls in the Valley--Bridal Veil, Yosemite, Vernal, and Nevada. Plenty to see and do.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby samsouza » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:19 am

Thank you very much, Dan.

I wasn't aware that the tour buses don't run that time of the year. Do you know if I can go to Mariposa grove by car?
samsouza

Postby dan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 am

No. You park and walk through all groves.

In Summer, for Mariposa Grove only, an open-air tour bus also goes through the grove.

All Sequoia groves in Yosemite are closed to private automobile traffic, year round.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite