Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Watch out for the rangers

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Watch out for the rangers

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Author: ??
Date: 12-20-04 08:57

Breaking Law Is No Walk in Park

Some Yosemite visitors and workers say rangers can be overzealous in
enforcing rules. Officials say their good deeds far exceed any lapses.

By Julie Cart
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 13, 2004
[Copyright article deleted]

Re: Watch out for the rangers
Author: norm
Date: 01-16-05 20:14

The common theme with these experiences with the Park Rangers appears to be law breaking. Drunk driving, drunk in public, drug violations etc... The same laws that the public EXPECTS and DEMANDS that City Police enforce. I for one am glad that the Rangers are proactive in enforcing the law.

My wife and I live just outside of Yosemite and are frequent visitors. We don't want our lives in danger from drunk drivers. Nor do we want to enjoy the grandeur of Yosemite in the company of drunks, rowdies, thieves and druggies.

Vacation is not an excuse to disregard laws, safety and decent behavior. If you can't accept that, then stay out of "my" Yosemite.

Thank you Rangers!

Author: D... a DNC employee
Date: 02-15-05 16:41

Employees DO often seem to be targeted by the Rangers... and the tourists often get away with a lot more....

A good example of Rangers letting tourists literally get away with "murder" AND causing the deaths of living beings both human AND non human....

Everyday tourists feed and offer food to ground squirrells, coyotes, raccoons, bears, jays, ravens and just about any other bird or animal that is seen ... because they're so cute! AND because they want to get a really good picture.

Here is what happens though. Because the birds and animals get really fat on human food, thier body and mother nature says "well... there must be an ample food source!!!!" So they have more babies. which means there are more, for example, raccoons. Which means the mountain lions come down from the mountains because of all the "food". which means the mountain lions walk through the Curry Village area looking for all the fat raccoons. Which means the Rangers get nervous and kill a mother mountain lion and her cub. This DID happen.

Another example. In April and in October... the bears create havoc because there are SOOOOOO many people practicing VERY poor food storage... or leaving food out so they can see bears. There are SOOOOOO many people doing this that the Rangers can't stop it.... sooooo what happens is....

The bears get harrassed and chased and have noisemakers fired at them and have beanbags shot at them AND GET SO SCARED that they run up a tree where they try to hide. Then the sun comes up and people gather around the tree to take pictures of the bear... so the bear gets stuck up in the tree without water and without food... because he's too scared to come down.

Another example... climbers come in from all over the world to climb Yosemite walls... and because lots of people like to think they are such AWESOME climbers... there are THOUSANDS of dollars spent every summer doing rescues. And yes, this includes pulling dead bodies off El Cap because the people figured that they didn't need to heed warnings of storms approaching.... and people talk about how sad it is that they died.

The purpose of this post... stop nitpicking on the EASY to catch and EASY to prosecute problems and start eliminating the bigger problems of IDIOTS causing problems in the park.

Do you need to be rescued... sorry... we'll do it... but its going to cost you ALOT. Want to feed that bear... go ahead... but its going to cost you a thousand dollars. A bear broke into your car... sorry... you had food in it... here is your thousand dollar fine. You got a picture of the coyote... great! but here is your thousand dollar fine because you fed it...

Increase the fines and kick repeat offenders out of the park and a lot of problems will start going away...

Author: Jennifer LaDuca
Date: 02-17-06 18:53

In the winter of 2005 I parked my car along HWY 41 looking for the trailhead that leaves the park heading toward the S.fork of the Merced River. I parked there to hike along the trail a couple of times and also parked near Alder Creek.
I was later in the Wawona grocery store buying bread and milk and there was a ranger at the register talking to the cashier. I left and walked up to the Wawona Hotel where I was parked. The ranger drove over to me and stopped me as I was getting into my vehicle. He told me my vehicle had been spotted parked along highway 41 in "suspicious areas". I had no idea there are any "suspicious areas" in Yosemite. I told him I had parked near a trailhead! This ranger was a serious freak and I have heard that he got in plenty of trouble harrassing people in Wawona. This is the ranger who shot the wild turkey last spring near employee housing in Wawona. I was really disappointed to be questioned with no probable cause.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite