Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mist Trail Vernal Falls

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mist Trail Vernal Falls

Postby Etienne » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:49 pm

I will be in Yosemite from 6/22-24 with the inlaws , wife and 17 year old daughter.
Can the wife and inlaws make it up the mist trail to the top? How far is it one way and where do we start?

If my wife and her parents can't do it I want to go with my daughter.

Any info would appreciated.

Thanks
Etienne
Etienne

Mist Trail

Postby dan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 am

Most people can make it to the top of the Mist Trail, which is the overlook at the top of Vernal Falls. The handicapped or terribly out-of-shape probably cannot do it, but you see whole families go up there all the time.

Bring a plastic poncho or something to keep you dry if getting soaked bothers you or someone in your party. You will get totally soaked in late spring. Many people bring a lunch or snack to eat at the top of the falls. There's a bathroom at the top and at the bridge crossing the Merced River.

The total distance is about 1.5 miles and it's about 1000' feet up from Happy Isles. To get to Happy Isles, board the Yosemite Valley shuttle bus (which drives around in one big loop) and get off at Happy Isles. Cross the bridge over the Merced at Happy Isles to the start of the trail. Parts of the trail are steep, so take your time. Morning is best as it's less crowded and cooler.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite