Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

red mushrooms

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

red mushrooms

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Author: Carol
Date: 02-06-05 19:13

We visited Yosemite Park in May 2004. We visited Mariposa Grove and noticed several red mushroom/fungi. Could someone please tell me what these were called and a little bit about them?

Re: red mushrooms
Author: Ralph
Date: 03-22-05 16:11

What was the weather like when you were there in May 2004?

Author: sonja
Date: 05-02-05 21:00

we saw the mushroom May 1, 2005 and are now trying to identify it. If you know by now, could you please let me know? thank you.

Author: sonja
Date: 05-04-05 09:21

We found the red mushroom. It is actually a flower, Snow Plant

Author: Dan Anderson
Date: 05-04-05 12:24

Snowplant is a fungus.
To see a description, type "Wild Flowers of the Sierra" the Search button on the top of this webpage then click on "Meadows" chapter. It has a picture and says:

SNOW PLANT Sarcodes sanguinea
One of the most spectacular Sierran plants, the snowplant grows 6 to 15" high. Numerous fleshy flowers on a single stem. June-July.

If you see red stuff growing out of an old dead tree, it's some fungus.

Both are poisonous if eaten, I believe.

Author: Thomas
Date: 06-12-05 11:45

The latest issue of Discovery magazine has an article on mushrooms. The professor &/or index of the mag that has "further reading" should help you find more about that mushroom.
Then you can tell me! My family just saw a slew of them on someone's front lawn (if we are talking about the same red mushroom, actually there are many types)

Author: Danny Lindsey
Date: 08-21-05 18:01

I have been stepping over a red mushroom about the size of a marble for a couple of months. It is under a large pine tree lying in the straw. It has not gotten any bigger nor has it dried up in the hot and dry weather we have had. (SouthCentral Arkansas)
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite