Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Las Vegas to Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Las Vegas to Yosemite

Postby johnrwilliams90 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 am

I'll be traveling from Las Vegas to Yosemite come June. I'm wanting to experience a scenic route within a days drive. Any suggestions?
johnrwilliams90
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite

Postby dan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:18 pm

That's a tough one. It's a good days drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite Valley. It's hot and dry in Death Valley and Owen's Valley, which is between the two points.

The drive in Yosemite National Park on Highway 120 (Tioga Road) is very scenic and I would spend some time lingering along the route.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 am

Not really, there are several of choices, just depends on how long you actually want to drive and where you want to stay.
The obvious choice out of Vegas is 160 to Pahrump, then go left on 372/178. You can stay on 178 which takes you into Death Valley the more scenic, longer route, or stay on 190 to Stovepipe Wells, the more direct route.
You then stay on 190 to Lone Pine and take Hwy 395 to Lee Vining/Yosemite for the more direct route.
If you are looking for a very cool back roads drive, at Bishop on 395, take Hwy 6 over to Old 120 and Old 120 into very south Lee Vining.
Just depends on how long you want to drive.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby lawrence » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:59 am

If I want to do this trip in 2 days, not 1, where is a good place to stay? We made a mistake when booking our hotel in las vegas and our room is not available for the next night, so we think of just take it slow and spend a night somewhere between Las Vegas and Yosemite. At least we can enjoy the landscape this way and dont have to drive all day. Any suggestions?
lawrence

Postby dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 pm

I would stop over at Mammoth Lakes, California. In winter however, it's a long way around because the Tioga Road is closed.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite