Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Wedding in Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Wedding in Yosemite

Postby MaderaCoyote » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi, I'm a Valley Boy. I live in Madera, I've grown up going to the High Sierras in the summertime, but my family didn't go to Yosemite much, too many tourists. But now I'm going to be married. I need help selecting the best site for my wedding.

These are the sites the Rangers have selected for parties of 10+ which ours will definitely be.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wedloc.htm

I basically want the most beautiful spot. I know that's a matter of perspective, but I also need to consider my guests. I have some older people coming and I don't think they could make a trek into the deep areas of the woods. I'm unfamiliar with most of these sites so I would like suggestions. Thank you :mrgreen:
MaderaCoyote
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Wedding in Yosemite

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:29 pm

My daughter got married at Glacier Point. Point of reference my daughter grew up backpacking Yosemite with me, her fiance was simply fascinated with the place, so they wanted to get married there.

See - https://www.flickr.com/photos/grzldvt/sets/72157631809769447/

I wanted Glacier Point due to the dramatic views and ease of getting people there, my daughter was not convinced, so the conversation went like this

Her: Let's do it in Toulumne Meadows so we can be very informal, shorts, T-shirts, etc
ME: That is good and has a great backdrop with the infamous Mt Dana and Lyell, with Lembert Dome, but it is not as dramatic as Glacier Point. Let's look at other options and keep this as a very strong possibility.

A few days later
HER: Looked into the Awhanee and it is expensive
ME: Kiddo, Money is not an issue we can afford to put all the guests(35) up, if there is availability, which I doubt, but it is not as dramatic as Glacier Point. Very classy but.... not the back country view you wanted
Her OK, let me keep looking

A week later
Her: We can do this at Wawona and they are willing to do the wedding on the lawn and there is space for everyone to stay.
ME: Really???? That is nice but for the people coming in from Michigan, Wawona is just another Country Club atmosphere they can get in MI and is nowhere as cool as Glacier Point

A few days later
Her: Ok, I checked on Glacier Point and we can do it on this Saturday date and it will cost us $150 bux and they will give us the Amphitheater
ME: That is a done deal.. what took you so long to get it? LOL
Her: But where do we do the reception
Me: I have heard about Bass Lake Lodge, and it can be rented exclusively for the weekend, plus there are a couple of places that can house the out of town guests. Let me check on it

In the end we put up our guests at The Pines at Bass Lake, we took over the Bass Lake Lodge for the reception(Not cheap) but very classy and well worth it.
Friday the guests flew/drove in and made their way to Bass Lake Pines
The grooms parents rented a pontoon boat and we had a very cool pre-wedding party on the lake on the pontoon boat. The equivalent of a rehearsal dinner, but better.
Saturday we had the wedding
I rented two medium luxury buses to transport the guests to Glacier Point Saturday AM:mrgreen:
A ranger was there to greet us and make sure the tourists did not invade our space during the ceremony. People respected that but were at the very top of the amphitheater to observe the ceremony. No doubt more tourists than guests.
Had the wedding ceremony
The buses took everyone back down the the Bass Lake Lodge
Had the reception at the Lodge, catered by Crab Cakes out of Oakhurst - Simply awesome food and the best place to eat in Oakhurst, if you are staying there.
Sunday we all moseyed home.
This was not a low budget deal, but the goal was to have the wedding at Glacier Point due to its ease of getting people in and out and the dramatic views, which in my opinion are what the park is all about.
Bottom line out of all the choices in that list, IMO Glacier Point is the best.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Grzldvt wrote:A few days later
HER: Looked into the Awhanee and it is expensive
ME: Kiddo, Money is not an issue we can afford to put all the guests(35) up, if there is availability, which I doubt, but it is not as dramatic as Glacier Point. Very classy but.... not the back country view you wanted
Her OK, let me keep looking

You: Okay, how about this instead...you elope, spend a week in Cabo on me, and I give you the rest for the down payment on a house?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby KarenAllen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 am

MaderaCoyote wrote:Hi, I'm a Valley Boy. I live in Madera, I've grown up going to the High Sierras in the summertime, but my family didn't go to Yosemite much, too many tourists. But now I'm going to be married. I need help selecting the best site for my wedding.

These are the sites the Rangers have selected for parties of 10+ which ours will definitely be.

au.vogueplay.com

I basically want the most beautiful spot. I know that's a matter of perspective, but I also need to consider my guests. I have some older people coming and I don't think they could make a trek into the deep areas of the woods. I'm unfamiliar with most of these sites so I would like suggestions. Thank you :mrgreen:

I think, this idea is cool :) I wish you all the best :)
KarenAllen
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Visiting Yosemite