Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Clouds Rest- Water on the trail from Sunrise

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Clouds Rest- Water on the trail from Sunrise

Postby attyjjudge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:44 pm

I will be taking my kids up and over Clouds rest in late June (from JM through Sunrise Lakes) and was wondering how reliable the water source is that is shown along the trail on the northeast side of CR about 1.6 miles up from last of the sunrise lakes (looks to be about 1.4 miles from the junction of the trail that leads out to Tenaya Lake). Thinking of setting up for the night in or around this creek, just to shorten our next day going up and over.
attyjjudge

Re: Clouds Rest- Water on the trail from Sunrise

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:00 pm

I was there around 7/9 last year and the little stream was still running, but not terribly robust. I'd say you'll be fine in June this year. There are a couple of camp sites there, one along the 1st stream crossing and another between the two small stream branches, enter under the large broken tree east of the trail.

In the worst case, you can backtrack to the tarn about half mile north of the small stream.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby attyjjudge » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:06 am

Thanks Dave. I do see that tarn. Good to know its there. We may poke around Sunrise Lakes at bit, just in case we find a a place to camp with a view that we can't say no to... otherwise, probably head to the spot discussed.
attyjjudge

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 am

Reliable year round water on the trail is limited to that unnamed tarn that you can see to the west from the trail about a mile or so past the fork of the trail junction at Cloud's Rest/Sunrise Lakes, and then the small split stream Dave also mentioned coming down off Sunrise Mountain about another klick out (the second has the better flow). Both offer limited camping too (the tarn is better than the stream though), although if you have enough water, there's a flat a little further up the trail at the next junction that will keep you from having to backtrack. If you decide to push on to the summit for the night, at the stream, load up with all the water you think everyone is going to need for the entire up and over on Cloud's Rest, because that's it. There is a small spring on the descent, but in a dry year especially, it's either easy to miss because of low flows, or it's nothing you really want to foul your filter with unless it's an emergency...one of those places where a Sawyer mini comes in really handy. The next good, reliable water is at Sunrise Creek where it joins the JMT.

Also, if you're thinking of heading up to Sunrise Lakes, middle and upper make for better and probably more abundant camping than the lower lake if you hike a little extra to/around them. Bears are really active in the entire area. If the kids or you are fishermen, upper Sunrise if more about catching than just fishing, especially in early season.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite