Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help: planning Yosemite trip for first time (with 1 yr old)

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help: planning Yosemite trip for first time (with 1 yr old)

Postby Shqiponja » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:47 am

I am going to LA to visit my brother and wanted to spend one of my weekends visiting Yosemite (either 1 or 2 nights depending on the advice I get). I'll be going with my daughter who will be a year old at the time. I read that there are full day bus tours and I'm wondering if I should do a bus tour versus taking my own car versus walking. I don't know how easy the easy hikes are and whether I'll be able to carry my daughter along.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Also, early June is when I was thinking of going m.
Shqiponja
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Help: planning Yosemite trip for first time (with 1 yr o

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:40 am

I would hit the Valley, Tuolumne Meadows, maybe Glacier Point. Play tourist. Day hike, because you're going to be carrying the baby pretty much constantly. Buy yourself a comfortable baby carrier with a few extra pockets for drinks, snacks, diaper stuff, etc... One that you try on and have fitted first. Stay at one of the campgrounds (reserve early!) and use the car so you can set your own schedule and go where you want, when you want...or when your daughter decides for you. June can also be kind of wet and chilly sometimes, so keep that in mind when you plan on what clothing to bring.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Help: planning Yosemite trip for first time (with 1 yr o

Postby Recycling1991 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Definitely go for two nights. It's too far of a drive to go for one night.
forgo camping, as you've missed much of June's camping window anyway (maybe the latter half is open still), and it maybe easier for you in a hotel / motel room. Stoneman house in curry village is a good option. Yosemite lodge is decent too. curry village tent cabins - I would not recommend. if you're paying $200/night roughly, you're getting the right kind of lodging.

no tour bus; just walk the valley, ride the free bus around, and just putter around with your kid. they used to rent bikes and maybe you could pull the kid along. check into it at curry village.

I love Yosemite and went there with my kid when she was still crawling, and we let her crawl all over the place. That said, they had hantavirus a couple of years ago, and then the plague-infested squirrels last year, so I would be more cautious now about letting my kid crawl everywhere.
Recycling1991
Regular
Regular

Return to Visiting Yosemite