Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Family camps and lodges w/ 3 yr old

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Family camps and lodges w/ 3 yr old

Postby mya » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:05 am

I'm planning a trip with my young family to the Sierras in late Spring/Summer and was looking to find some good family camp / lodge options. I spent a lot of time camping, backpacking and day hiking around Yosemite in my 20's but now have a 1 year old and 3 year old who have grown up in the suburbs of Florida.

What other camps and lodges are there in the Sierras (close to Yosemite or not) similar to Camp Mather, Evergreen Lodge or Tuolumne Camp? Are there better options for a 3 year old?

Related: we recently took a trip to Murren, Switzerland where they had an amazing Children's Adventure Trail with kids activities (small zip lines, tree houses, playground etc) along a trail which would rival a lot of the best hikes in the Sierras. The hike started at a very cool outdoor / Swiss themed playground complete with restaurant which was accessible by a short train ride up the mountain. The hike was maybe 2-3 miles in total but amazing. A huge hit with the kids and adults. Links below...

Is there a similar experience anywhere in the U.S. that you're aware of?

http://ciaobambino.com/kid-friendly-hiking-on-childrens-adventure-trail-murren-switzerland/
http://www.momstotszurich.com/2015/04/murren-childrens-adventure-trail.html
http://www.momstotszurich.com/2015/04/allmendhubel-flower-park-playground.html
mya
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Family camps and lodges w/ 3 yr old

Postby Phil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Related: we recently took a trip to Murren, Switzerland where they had an amazing Children's Adventure Trail with kids activities (small zip lines, tree houses, playground etc) along a trail which would rival a lot of the best hikes in the Sierras. The hike started at a very cool outdoor / Swiss themed playground complete with restaurant which was accessible by a short train ride up the mountain. The hike was maybe 2-3 miles in total but amazing. A huge hit with the kids and adults. Links below...

Is there a similar experience anywhere in the U.S. that you're aware of?

Sounds a lot like Disneyland...they even have the Matterhorn.

Magic happens in all sorts of places, not just those that are contrived. The sights and sounds of places like Yosemite can be pretty compelling for even small children. You couple that experience with telling them that you spent a lot of time there when you were younger and, well, you never know what they might take away that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.....a field guide, their own little day-pack, and some quality time with you can go a lot further than you might think.

Although, if it's about going to the mountains, a lot of the major corporate resorts (not just in the Sierras) are really pushing hard into the "family-destination" market. I guess the trick would be finding one where what they offer is more than just a glorified daycare program that foists the kids off on someone else while the parents go and do their own thing. Stuff like that is probably a dime a dozen. Good luck.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite