Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Taking Older Parent to Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Taking Older Parent to Yosemite

Postby wdr1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:11 am

Apologies in advance if this is covered in a FAQ or wiki... I did some searching & couldn't find a good answer.

My mom is retiring later his year. Since she moved to the United States in the 1960s she's always wanted to see Yosemite but never had a chance. I want to take her, but her health is so-so. She can walk on her own, but probably needs a break after a few hundred feet. She can do a flight of stairs but no much more.

I've never been to Yosemite myself, so honestly I don't even know if this would make any sense for her? E.g., is there much of the park's splendor she could see with such limited mobility?

If it helps, both the budget & time of year is something we're flexible on. Once she's retired she won't have any restraints on her time & I wanted to treat her. :-)
wdr1
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Taking Older Parent to Yosemite

Postby robow8 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 am

Have you seen this page on their website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Taking Older Parent to Yosemite

Postby Recycling1991 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:19 am

You absolutely should take her to Yosemite; there is a lot she can see without needing to do serious hiking or even long walks.

If you are going to see Yosemite Valley, which is where most people go, May is a very nice season. Mid-week is the best, since it is less crowded. I would book a room at Yosemite lodge. Curry Village Cabins with Baths are my favorite, but they may be challenging for someone with limited mobility. the bathrooms are small and old. DO NOT book the tent cabins or curry cabins without bath. If you have a lot of money, you can splurge on the Ahwahnee at $500/night. But don't expect the Ritz in terms of rooms. You're paying to stay in a historic hotel. The lodge rooms will be around $200 a night, or a bit more in the summer. Book two rooms or one room with two queens. They also have a family room, but that's hard to book. If you're flexible on dates, you may be able to get it. Call and find out. Go midweek for sure to have a bit less crowds.

There is so much to see easily for your mom. I don't usually recommend the valley tour on the open air tram, but in your case, that would be a good thing. But you can always book that later. Book your room and post back with the dates (I'd suggest at least two nights), and we'll give you suggestions on stuff to do.
Recycling1991
Regular
Regular

Return to Visiting Yosemite