Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Vegas to Yosemite Valley

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Vegas to Yosemite Valley

Postby JoshAFC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 am

Hello. I'm from the UK and will be visting the USA, and Yosemite, for the first time in June this year. Our road trip takes in LA, Vegas, Yosemite and San Fran.

I plan on driving from Vegas to Curry Village, Yosemite. My plan is to drive from Vegas, through Death Valley (and see the sights there very briefly), up route 395, and take the Tioga Pass to Curry Village. This is planned for 16th June - we already have our Vegas hotel booked and our accomodation at Curry Village, so this date is fixed. However, I'm reading that snow fall this year has been well above average and that the Tioga Pass is unlikely to be open by 16th June. How likely is it for Tigoa Pass to be closed by 16th June - 75%? What alternative route would people recommend to get from Vegas to Yosemite Valley?

Thanks!
JoshAFC
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Vegas to Yosemite Valley

Postby dan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:03 pm

My guess is Tioga Pass will be closed through June.

Traditionally they work very hard to open Tioga Pass by Memorial Day, the end of May. But there is a deep pile of snow this year.

An alternative is to take the Tehachapi pass (I-15 south from Vegas to Barstow, then California Highway 58 east to Bakersfield, north on Highway 99.

Tehachapi Pass is only 3771' (1149m).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite