Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hetch Hetchy area fishing

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hetch Hetchy area fishing

Postby mountainranger » Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Does anyone know how the fishing is in the Hetch Hetchy area, specifically Lake Vernon, Lake Laurel and Gravel Pit Lake?
Thanks.
mountainranger

Re: Hetch Hetchy area fishing

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm

There's still a few feet of snow up there. Not sure how many people have been up in that area. Especially since there are now streams where there weren't any, and they are in the process of carrying all the prodigious amount of snowmelt down the mountain, so are dangerous to cross.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mountainranger » Tue May 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks for the info on the snow. We are going mid June so hopefully the snow will be a little less. I just need to know if I can count on any good fishing.
mountainranger

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 02, 2017 4:56 pm

It's a pretty popular area. I expect Vernon will still be fairly good for fishing, and there were some nice large silver phase rainbows in Eleanor while I was there. We were skunked at Laurel.

If the lake's too shallow it will freeze to the bottom and not sustain a fish population year round, and they don't stock in Yosemite. Not sure Gravel pit is even worth it.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mountainranger » Wed May 03, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks for the info.
mountainranger

Return to Visiting Yosemite