Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

July 17-21, 2017

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

July 17-21, 2017

Postby sfp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Our family is making our first trip to Yosemite and I am quite overwhelmed with the amount of information regarding hikes. We were able to reserve one night at Wawona Campground, then 1 night at Upper pines, then 1 night at Yosemite village, then a backpacking permit for 3 (we have 5) for 10 lakes. I was only able to reserve 3 and I need to try and get two more by first come first serve. The plan is to do the Nevada Falls loop and go to one of the tuolumne sequoia groves. Question: Is it worth it to do an overnight backpacking trip to 10 lakes (not 100% certain to get the extra two permits) or is the scenery better to hike Twenty Lakes basin or Gaylor lakes as a day hike or some other recommended hike (I seem to want subalpine lakes? Also, is there a suggestion as to what to see in the Wawona Campground area (Taft point??)? Thank you, heading out next week. SFP
sfp

Re: July 17-21, 2017

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Both Twenty Lakes Basin and Ten Lakes are going to have some snow coverage. How do you feel about potentially losing the trail under snowbanks? Gaylor Lakes is also quite high and likely to have snow. Happily, none of these have very large streams that will be dangerous to cross involved.... but if you do encounter running water that you are thinking of crossing, do think twice. There's a lot of snowmelt going on still. People have lost backpacks or gotten hurt trying to cross high water.

Taft Point is on Glacier Point Road. The trail from Wawona goes up to Chilnualna Falls, which is a worthy destination, though you want an early start as it's a hot trail with exposed sections. Also you can walk around Wawona Meadow for a nice easy stroll if climbing steadily for 4-5 miles isn't your cup of tea.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sfp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you. Yes, the person I spoke to today said that there was about 4 1/2 feet of snow and melting on the Ten Lakes trail. Would a Gaylor day hike be a better bet or completely pick a hike at lower elevation (suggestions?)? On an additional note, would you recommend Glacier Point - Panorama Trail to view falls or Mist Trail to JMT? I do appreciate the help. SFP
sfp

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 pm

I do Ten Lakes quite often and know the area pretty well. The thing is that, even in a light snow year, you guys are about 2 weeks ahead of the ideal time. Once the snow is gone, it's then mosquitoes for a few more weeks. Early to mid August is a great time. Overnight? Sure, but it's a great area to linger and explore more than such a short time allows for.

If you're short two permits for the Yosemite Creek trailhead entry and can't get a couple extra walk-ups, you can pick up the difference by taking the two strongest and fastest members of your group in from either White Wolf or Lukens Lake trailheads. Either route adds about 5 miles, but you can shuttle the two of them to their trailhead, wait it out for a little while at Yosemite Creek for them to make distance, then meet up at the trail junction and all go up together.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sfp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I checked into the trail conditions and winter trekking gear is needed for Ten Lakes. I am thinking of trying to obtain wilderness permits for the Vandeberg-Lillian Lakes Loop. Do you have first hand knowledge about this hike? Thank you in advance.
sfp

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:07 pm

sfp wrote:I checked into the trail conditions and winter trekking gear is needed for Ten Lakes. I am thinking of trying to obtain wilderness permits for the Vandeberg-Lillian Lakes Loop. Do you have first hand knowledge about this hike? Thank you in advance.

They've already rescued people who got lost in that loop. It's the same elevation, it'll be the same problem...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite